PDA

View Full Version : [9.10] switch to "Desktop Mode"

agazzo
November 1st, 2009, 03:41 AM
Hello All, I just installed Karmic UNR on my HP Mini 2140
Everything seems to be working out of the box
But the main problem is, I can't seem to find Preferences to switch to Desktop Mode
I remembered that Jaunty UNR has this icon to quickly change mode to desktop mode

Anyone knows how to do it? I'll be greatly appreciate it
Sorry for my english, Thank You!! :)

agazzo
November 2nd, 2009, 01:26 AM
anyone? *bump*

wel
November 2nd, 2009, 02:52 AM
But the main problem is, I can't seem to find Preferences to switch to Desktop Mode
I remembered that Jaunty UNR has this icon to quickly change mode to desktop mode

I have the same problem, if you resorver it, please let me know.

Sanktwo
November 2nd, 2009, 01:31 PM
Others have complained. I certainly want to switch (Permanently). The option was deliberately removed. See http://www.mail-archive.com/universe-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com/msg150542.html
No resolution there then...

agazzo
November 2nd, 2009, 05:06 PM
Others have complained. I certainly want to switch (Permanently). The option was deliberately removed. See http://www.mail-archive.com/universe-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com/msg150542.html
No resolution there then...

thanks for the link
so until now, there's no possible solution to display regular desktop?
too bad cos i don't use netbook-launcher often since i found gnome-do =/

quiricada
November 3rd, 2009, 04:05 PM
here's what i did, no guarantees here! just seem to work for me.

in unr mode
system - preference - startup application
unchecked - maximus
unchecked - netbook launcher

on the top panel
right click the little ubuntu logo (it's the go home applet) and remove it

then right click on any part of the blank portion of the top panel
select add to panel
select main menu (the main gnome menu)
then i move this to the leftmost part of the panel

(NOTE NOTE:
some part of the top panel may look blank but is actually the window list;
if on right click and you don't get the "add to panel" selection item, you are right clicking on window list;
if you can't right click and get the "add to panel" selection item, just
1) remove the window list,
2) add main menu,
3) add back the window list)

then restart

wel
November 4th, 2009, 03:04 AM

Here the solution in spanish.

http://www.ubuntu-es.org/?q=node/116488#comment-340069

Tuliku
November 4th, 2009, 04:34 PM
here's what i did, no guarantees here! just seem to work for me.

in unr mode
system - preference - startup application
unchecked - maximus
unchecked - netbook launcher

on the top panel
right click the little ubuntu logo (it's the go home applet) and remove it

then right click on any part of the blank portion of the top panel
select add to panel
select main menu (the main gnome menu)
then i move this to the leftmost part of the panel

(NOTE NOTE:
some part of the top panel may look blank but is actually the window list;
if on right click and you don't get the "add to panel" selection item, you are right clicking on window list;
if you can't right click and get the "add to panel" selection item, just
1) remove the window list,
2) add main menu,
3) add back the window list)

then restart

Thanks !!, Worked perfectly :-) me a happy ubuntu user again.

Mazehero55
November 4th, 2009, 07:03 PM
You are my hero!!!
I'm using an Asus 1101hab netbook and the launcher is so sluggish it's unusable! Sometimes 10-20 seconds just to move to another section!
Should I report this somehow? I actually love the launcher alot, it was just so slow! I'd love to enable it again if only I could get it up to speed.

By the way any idea on how to get back right click functionality on the background?

Thanks

manue
November 4th, 2009, 08:58 PM
You are my hero!!!
I'm using an Asus 1101hab netbook and the launcher is so sluggish it's unusable! Sometimes 10-20 seconds just to move to another section!
Should I report this somehow? I actually love the launcher alot, it was just so slow! I'd love to enable it again if only I could get it up to speed.

By the way any idea on how to get back right click functionality on the background?

Thanks
I found the solution to swicht to the standard Desktop by:
System > Start-up > Netbook Launcher > double click on then (dissable by changing command to xxnetbook-launcher) reboot and add to panels what you want. E Holly
However I would like to resolve the right-click problem as well

Mazehero55
November 5th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Wait, okay I figured it out myself.
You have to add the "Configuration Editor" with the "Main Menu" editor in preferences.
Open that.
Then navigate the tree to ( / > apps > nautilus > preferences )
Make sure you have "preferences" clicked on.
Then on the right scroll down to "show_desktop", check that on.

Don't even need to reboot^-^

rodex.verdana
November 6th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks

Tuliku
November 6th, 2009, 04:29 PM
NO matter what i tried, i can not find those options.
I can get into File Management (Nautilus)but in preferences there, is nothing like show desktop.
Can you explain it a bit more ?

Tuliku
November 9th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Bumperdebump

Terentius
November 10th, 2009, 04:35 PM
thx Mazehero55 your solution worked for me

Tuliku
November 10th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Well, not for me... So i installed normal desktop version and tweaked it a bit. Works perfectly as well now

coskierken
November 23rd, 2009, 09:17 PM
All that has to be done is what was mention before. System/Preferences/Start Up apps then uncheck maximux and netbook launcher. That is all you need to do for 9.10. Just did in on my buddy's Acer.

mbeierl
November 24th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Really odd. I installed Karmic NBR on one Dell Inspiron, followed these instructions and using gconf-editor was able to get the desktop back. Now I'm attempting to do the same on a second Inspiron, and nautilus is refusing to do anything with the desktop. No icons, no right click...

So, both prior posters are correct: it works and it doesn't work?!?

mbeierl
November 24th, 2009, 08:04 PM
DOH! I'm an idiot. Sorry - so gconf-editor: go to apps -> nautilus -> preferences and enable Show Desktop; also go to apps -> nautilus -> desktop and enable the icons that you want, otherwise the desktop stays blank which was what was confusing me.

Squalo_ch
December 14th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I've followed the instructions and I got the classic panels back. However the desktop space is "death": I'm not able to deposit any file or link and there are no right click options on it.
If I go to the Desktop thorough the menu Places>Desktop, nautilus show me the files in it without problem.
On the Configuration Editor I checked the show_desktop option of the apps>nautilus>preferences.

Am I missing something to fully activate/make use of the Desktop space?

satbunny
December 14th, 2009, 10:46 AM
This is why I install normal vanilla Ubuntu onto my netbook.

Wish I hadn't bothered with 9.10 tho..

Bama125
December 20th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Quiricada works great.

Thank you

Bama

Tuliku
January 1st, 2010, 02:12 PM
gconf-editor: go to apps -> nautilus -> preferences and enable Show Desktop; also go to apps -> nautilus -> desktop and enable the icons that you want, otherwise the desktop stays blank
This was my missing link, now i got it working too :-)

pveurshout
January 19th, 2010, 09:13 PM
I've followed the instructions and I got the classic panels back. However the desktop space is "death": I'm not able to deposit any file or link and there are no right click options on it.
If I go to the Desktop thorough the menu Places>Desktop, nautilus show me the files in it without problem.
On the Configuration Editor I checked the show_desktop option of the apps>nautilus>preferences.

Am I missing something to fully activate/make use of the Desktop space?

Post #19 fixed it for me, probably that's where your answer lies as well :)

Squalo_ch
January 19th, 2010, 09:43 PM
By default, after boot the desktop space is "death". Even with the options on the gconf-editor set as detailed on previous messages.
However, by accident I discovered that (1) opening the Desktop on nautilus and then (2) on the gconf-editor deselecting and reselecting the show-desktop option under apps -> nautilus -> preferences brings it back to life!
Doing only (2) doesn't change anything. I MUST have done (1) before proceeding with step (2).
Not ideal since I have to perform the operation after every fresh startup, but better than nothing!
I can live with that, but any ideas or suggestions to fix it permanently are certainly welcome.
Thanks.

bitinerant
January 22nd, 2010, 01:46 AM
Many thanks to post #11 and post #25. This worked nicely and you saved me re-installing Ubuntu Desktop. I've also read that UNR is faster that Desktop on Atom processors. :P

jcolton08
February 2nd, 2010, 03:17 AM
Or you can copy paste into a terminal:

gconftool-2 --type bool --set /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop true

Fixed icons/no right click on desktop issue for me

tba967
February 15th, 2010, 07:35 AM
thank you. this is extremely helpful. However, I find that I still cannot get maximus to go away. Even when I take it out of my startup applications, it still runs and modifies my windows. the only way to stop it is to use the configuration editor to disable maximizing. this is actually useful because i can still use maximus's other features.

B00STED6
March 10th, 2010, 09:31 PM
thank you. this is extremely helpful. However, I find that I still cannot get maximus to go away. Even when I take it out of my startup applications, it still runs and modifies my windows. the only way to stop it is to use the configuration editor to disable maximizing. this is actually useful because i can still use maximus's other features.

you can always uninstall maximus from synaptic..

cerberez
March 29th, 2010, 08:17 AM
This is great, but I can't figure out how to get those three drop-down menus (programs, something, and system)... that was the perfect arrangement for me when I had it, but that was a unr install ago and I can't set it up the same way anymore.

How do I get those menus?

[edit] nevermind. I'm a dummy. You can just add them to the panel (it's called "menu bar")

fukitol
April 1st, 2010, 06:58 AM
Hey Thanks! That helped! I've been looking through different commands and solutions to remove netbook remix from my desktop 9.10 and this one worked! Cheers!

newbie99
April 5th, 2010, 10:54 PM

yep, go to startup applications and uncheck netbook remix

sambob123
September 15th, 2010, 04:55 AM
Hey guys, i found an alternative solution to the right-click problem. Instead use the shortcut Alt-F1, it should help.

Muzafsh
May 1st, 2011, 10:29 AM

Simple !!!

Just go to System -> Administration -> Login Screen

Unlock -> Select the version you'd like from the dropdown menu...UNR to Desktop

saves you a lot of trouble from fidgeting into the gconf, etc

Cheers