PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] LiveCD not working

space-litter
November 1st, 2009, 03:27 AM
Currently running Jaunty but want to reformat my Ubuntu partition and do a fresh Karmic install so that I can:

1) get the new GRUB
2) get ext4
3) divide /, /swap, and /home for ease of future upgrades.
4) start using the 64bit version (I just realized my Core2Duo is 64bit, been using the 32bit thus far).

My data is backed up, so I just want to overwrite everything but my Vista partition. My problem is, when the LiveCD boots up...nothing works but the "memory test" (and even that for some reason shut my computer down about halfway through).

I can select "English", and toggle between the various options after that, but as soon as I try to "install", or "try ubuntu without changing my system", or "check the disk for errors", the cd drive just sits there starting and stopping. I've let it go for as long as 10 minutes but it all remains frozen with the CD drive going crazy until I do a hard shutdown.

Anyone else having this problem, or have ideas as to why this may be? The last LiveCD I used was Hardy when I first got into Ubuntu, and I had no problems using Gparted to carve out space and install.

quixote
November 2nd, 2009, 05:18 AM
My guess would be either the download wasn't entirely successful or, more likely, burning the CD wasn't. Try downloading a new copy, and burning the CD at the slowest speed you can specify. Then try again.

space-litter
November 11th, 2009, 08:03 PM
It was a bad burn.

quixote
November 11th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Good to know it's fixed! :D