PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] user management broken in karmic?

RavanH
November 1st, 2009, 02:08 AM
Hi,

Since I did a fresh install of Karmic without overwriting my /home partition, I am having trouble setting up all the users I had on the system before.

I can create a new user but after that, I cannot change the home folder nor the main group that user belongs to... When I try to change these values via the GUI for user management, it seems to work but after closing the GUI and opening it again, the old values are back.

Hope I explained that clear enough. Can anybody confirm this or has there something gone wrong on my install?

Thanks!

zuehls
November 1st, 2009, 11:25 PM
I have the same issue. Changing the "Main group" gets reverted back to the user's group after closing.

jborgmann
November 4th, 2009, 03:51 AM
Bump. Same issue here. Fresh install of Karmic. I have my home directories in a separate LVM partition. Install went fine. Installed LVM2 and the partition mounted fine. When I go to Users and Groups, unlock, and change my home directory the setting doesn't stick.

I have tried multiple fresh installs (3) and all are the same.

I have chmod'd the old home dir with no better results.

From the CLI I tried 'sudo usermod --home /other/partition myuser' and I get a message stating "usermod: user myuser is currently logged in". This in and of itself seems odd. In all of my years with linux and bsd I have never seen usermod as rood fail for any reason relating to the user being logged in.

I created a new user (through Users and Groups) and gave that user admin permissions. Logged in as them and then changing my original login $HOME worked. However, after moving to my new $HOME I have now lost sound and the ability to administer other things (graphics).

Any help?

-jb

Simon Bridge
November 30th, 2009, 11:34 AM
bump - I have a similar effect.
This time creating a user via gui does not set the password.
I can create a user via cli with adduser, even log in, but some time later the password has reset. I see nothing in the logs.
Still googling for the fix.
Has anyone done a bug report?