PDA

View Full Version : why do people try to conterdicte some one when you try to help others out?

dj-toonz
November 1st, 2009, 02:01 AM
Hi all, this is p*****g me off now, you try to help other people out & somebody jumps in & tells them to goto a website to check it up after I've posted proper how do something :( why is it ? do people think your a lier or something

for example a newbie asked why isn't Movie Player playing DVD's & how do I go about playing them

so I posted to play DVD's what you need to do is enable medibuntu & explained how to do that & then explained this command

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts msttcorefonts non-free-codecs libdvdcss2 w32codecs

and what each was that it lets you play & watch anything under the sun

then 1 minute later somebody jumps in and says goto the ubuntu restricted page it tells you why ubuntu cant play dvd's & doesn't say how to enable them wtf

just p**ss me off, does anybody else feel like that ??

issih
November 1st, 2009, 02:13 AM
First, bear in mind that someone could easily have hit reply before your answer appeared, then got distracted for 10 minutes by an email or a passing vampire (well it is the night for it), then returned to the computer and replied, without ever knowing you had presented a solution.

Secondly remember that there is nearly always more than one way to do something, in this case it is specifically NOT necessary to enable the medibuntu repos to enable DVD playback.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs

That details all that is needed from a base install, although generally you would be well advised to pull in vlc too.

Consequently your advice, whilst a valid solution, was one with extra levels of complexity, that a new user might do well to avoid.

Thirdly you advised installing lots of extra software, none of which is required to play a DVD..now I haven't seen the original thread, and maybe there was reason for that, but just from what you've said, I have to ask why, especially as you are advocating installing lots of stuff that some members of this community (not me by the way - just some) take issue with from a philosophical/legal standpoint.

So all in all, no, I wouldn't let it bother me, especially as, in this case, your advice - whilst a perfectly sensible solution, could be viewed by some as overkill.

relax...stuff happens :)

lovinglinux
November 1st, 2009, 02:41 AM
First, bear in mind that someone could easily have hit reply before your answer appeared, then got distracted for 10 minutes by an email or a passing vampire (well it is the night for it), then returned to the computer and replied, without ever knowing you had presented a solution.

This happens all the time for me. Sometimes I take a lot of time to write, because English is not my first language and I'm kind of a "verborrhagic" person. But I admit sometimes I do on purpose and I get pissed when they do to me. :)

joey-elijah
November 1st, 2009, 02:45 AM
I get more stressed at people answering threads without reading them.

E.g.
On a Windows forum i posted asking for help in getting an NTFS partition to show-up/mount. I had installed Ubuntu on a separate partition on the same disk and now it wouldn't show up.

Knowing people might assume iv'e wiped my partition i made sure i put that it was still there, still NTFS and was working fine in ubuntu but not windows... Yet i got seven (Yes, 7!) replies all saying that this was a mistake/fault and i must've formatted the entire disk and Windows can't read EXt4 etc...

That boils my gobstoppers sometimes.

People commenting on my old blog posts correcting me on something DESPITE the fact their suggestion is NEW and wasn't around at the time of writing the post annoys me, too...

Yeh.. i need to chill! :D

JillSwift
November 1st, 2009, 02:47 AM
"verborrhagic"
May I borrow this term? I know someone who it applies to with incredible precision and they so need to hear it. =^_^=

Sporkman
November 1st, 2009, 03:14 AM
Sometimes people just reply to the initial post without reading the entire thread. Also, people sometimes just like to be helpful & throw their two cents in.

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 1st, 2009, 03:21 AM
Sometimes people are just trying to provide more or additional information. My advice: give your ego a rest and help people because you want to, not because you want the credit.

lovinglinux
November 1st, 2009, 03:25 AM
May I borrow this term? I know someone who it applies to with incredible precision and they so need to hear it. =^_^=

:lol: Go ahead.

lovinglinux
November 1st, 2009, 03:32 AM
I get more stressed at people answering threads without reading them.

That also stress me a "little". I also get stressed with multiple consecutive threads asking the exact same thing. For instance, take a look hop many threads I have posted my standard quote for flash problems (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&num=20&q=FOT004+site:ubuntuforums.org&start=0&sa=N). Sometimes I can't believe it.

MelDJ
November 1st, 2009, 03:49 AM
That also stress me a "little". I also get stressed with multiple consecutive threads asking the exact same thing. For instance, take a look hop many threads I have posted my standard quote for flash problems (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&num=20&q=FOT004+site:ubuntuforums.org&start=0&sa=N). Sometimes I can't believe it.

+1
sometimes you can find the same question you answered the day before come up today

lovinglinux
November 1st, 2009, 03:52 AM
+1
sometimes you can find the same question you answered the day before come up today

Sometimes there is less than 30 minutes between identical posts :)

jrusso2
November 1st, 2009, 03:52 AM
Hi all, this is p*****g me off now, you try to help other people out & somebody jumps in & tells them to goto a website to check it up after I've posted proper how do something :( why is it ? do people think your a lier or something

for example a newbie asked why isn't Movie Player playing DVD's & how do I go about playing them

so I posted to play DVD's what you need to do is enable medibuntu & explained how to do that & then explained this command

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts msttcorefonts non-free-codecs libdvdcss2 w32codecs

and what each was that it lets you play & watch anything under the sun

then 1 minute later somebody jumps in and says goto the ubuntu restricted page it tells you why ubuntu cant play dvd's & doesn't say how to enable them wtf

just p**ss me off, does anybody else feel like that ??

That was the last straw for me and when I stopped trying to help anyone.

nothingspecial
November 1st, 2009, 03:59 AM
why do people try to conterdicte some one when you try to help others out?

Because it`s a forum on the internet

ugm6hr
November 1st, 2009, 07:34 AM
Information is free on a forum, and there are indeed a handful of people who "help" but:
1. deliberately mislead
2. are new themselves and unaware of alternative solutions

I encourage people to read each other's responses to check them for typos, errors etc and offer alternatives. I have often learned something new from trying to help someone out; in fact, that is my predominant learning mechanism for Ubuntu / Linux.

This is what a forum community is for; it's like having a classroom full of people, each with their own pieces of knowledge, rather than a one-on-one tutorial. As an aside, a +1 post can reinforce and encourage people that the information given is reliable.

Out of interest, how old are those of you who get pissed off by this? And have you any formal teaching experience? I teach and learn at postgraduate level, and this is all accepted behaviour in most environments.