PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] customize main menu bar

jomex
November 1st, 2009, 12:56 AM
is there a easy way to display the Applications and Places menu as icon only and completely remove the System menu?

instead of:
[@] Application | Places | System

it should look like:
[@] | [#]

jomex
November 8th, 2009, 09:46 PM
anyone? O:)

qualtch
November 8th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Yes there is. Just right-click on one of the menu buttons, remove it from the bar. Then right-click on the empty menu bar -> add new applet -> and then search the applet called "GNOME Main menu". It should be just Ubuntu logo. When you click it you'll get all the links there. That one is quite similar to the Windows's Start-menu, or KDE's menu button.

jomex
November 8th, 2009, 11:11 PM
thanks, that did work but how do i also get the Places in the menu bar?

qualtch
November 9th, 2009, 12:26 AM
I'm not sure how to do that or even if it is possible. But the places menu should be at the main menu.

caue.rego
November 19th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Yes there is. Just right-click on one of the menu buttons, remove it from the bar. Then right-click on the empty menu bar -> add new applet -> and then search the applet called "GNOME Main menu". It should be just Ubuntu logo. When you click it you'll get all the links there. That one is quite similar to the Windows's Start-menu, or KDE's menu button.

Thanks for the hint!

Too bad there's no panel item for places and system like this one, but that's already fair enough. :)

Pepe Lebuntu
November 30th, 2009, 05:13 AM
I was just thinking the same thing.

It'd be HEAPS cool if, having just put the "GNOME Main Menu" thing on the panel, I could have a Places Applet on it. If anybody makes one, I'd love to get it.

Pepe Lebuntu
December 14th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Sometimes I'm astonished at the inability to recognise the obvious. This is actually really easy to do. Just make a drawer.

Go to add to panel, pick drawer. If you like, put it next to the Main Menu Icon you've made - you don't have to, but it seems to make sense to put it there.
Open the Drawer by clicking on it - it should stay open until you click on the arrow at the top, or on the icon itself again.
Open Nautilus (or whatever you're using as your File Browser).
Go to whichever folder you want to have in there - usually all those ones on the left. One by one, drag each folder over to your lovely new drawer (you'll have to do it from the top of Nautilus, or the right, not from the left of Nautilus)
Right-click on any of these new icons you've put in your drawer, and you can change their icons.
If you like, throw in a few separators to just make it neater - you can actually make it virtually identical to your places menu (with the exception of recent documents, but hey).
You might like to right click on your drawer and "add to drawer" and find the search function.
If you want, you can obviously change the icon of the drawer, to whatever you want it to be. What I did, to make it look like the standard places menu a bit more, was: a, open the drawer; b, right-click on any of those added folders and click on the alter icon; c, copy the browse line (in mine, usr/share/icons/Humanity/places/48/); d, close all that; e, right click again on the drawer, and click properties, then the icon button in the window that pops up; f, paste the bit you copied - this will bring up the right list of icons, and off you go.
And there you have it.

If you want to get REALLY clever and put a system menu next to that, to complete the THREE standards, sorry I can't help you.

Jules Delespy
December 17th, 2009, 04:45 PM
The ability to change text and icons on menus and panels is standard in Linux Mint.

jomex
December 19th, 2009, 10:57 AM
thanks Pepe, it's a good workaround :) *blows a kiss*
though i'm still missing the "recent documents"

forsaken_pariah
December 19th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Sometimes I'm astonished at the inability to recognise the obvious. This is actually really easy to do. Just make a drawer.

Go to add to panel, pick drawer. If you like, put it next to the Main Menu Icon you've made - you don't have to, but it seems to make sense to put it there.
Open the Drawer by clicking on it - it should stay open until you click on the arrow at the top, or on the icon itself again.
Open Nautilus (or whatever you're using as your File Browser).
Go to whichever folder you want to have in there - usually all those ones on the left. One by one, drag each folder over to your lovely new drawer (you'll have to do it from the top of Nautilus, or the right, not from the left of Nautilus)
Right-click on any of these new icons you've put in your drawer, and you can change their icons.
If you like, throw in a few separators to just make it neater - you can actually make it virtually identical to your places menu (with the exception of recent documents, but hey).
You might like to right click on your drawer and "add to drawer" and find the search function.
If you want, you can obviously change the icon of the drawer, to whatever you want it to be. What I did, to make it look like the standard places menu a bit more, was: a, open the drawer; b, right-click on any of those added folders and click on the alter icon; c, copy the browse line (in mine, usr/share/icons/Humanity/places/48/); d, close all that; e, right click again on the drawer, and click properties, then the icon button in the window that pops up; f, paste the bit you copied - this will bring up the right list of icons, and off you go.
And there you have it.

If you want to get REALLY clever and put a system menu next to that, to complete the THREE standards, sorry I can't help you.

I actually tried doing that, but I've found it's not really the same effect as the places menu, although it is a lot more customizable. I'd really like to see a places applet as well. I'm surprised there's not one yet. Doesn't seem like it'd be too hard to write one though....

But for now this is a suitable workaround.:)

jomex
December 19th, 2009, 11:30 AM
i created a brainstorm. vote on #5: http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22481

Pepe Lebuntu
December 23rd, 2009, 11:49 PM
Great job!

matthew.ball
December 26th, 2009, 11:52 AM
I'm actually looking for sort of the opposite here.

Does anyone know if it's possible to remove the logo all together and just have the title text appearing for the 3 menu options?

Familiar problem I'm sure; because of the logo my panel is forced to be 24 pixels wide, and I prefer it to be more like 19 pixels wide. I've seen some other solutions floating around for changing the icon, but I would rather remove it if possible.