PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Asking for login/PW in order to install???

imnotryan
November 1st, 2009, 12:41 AM
I downloaded 9.10 from the big bold link on the ubuntu.com site last night and burned to a CD today. When it boots, it asks for language, after selection it boots up to a login screen...

I don't have a login or a password. I have not even installed it yet...

It will reject any login/PW I give it and go right back to the login screen. I have tried a variety of logins, as well as no login at all. I have tried ubuntu/ubuntu, login, password, admin, password, blank/blank, etc. ad nauseum.

It does the same thing whether I select install or boot the live cd.

I have also re-downloaded it from the main link on the ubuntu.com website and re-burned it. Same results.

What the hell is going on here?

imnotryan
November 1st, 2009, 12:47 AM
I have also now tested it in 2 other laptops in addition to my desktop.

Same results.

Does the Ubuntu main website peddle a bum version? Should I try a version from somewhere else?

Sealbhach
November 1st, 2009, 12:51 AM
What the hell is going on here?

Exactly my thoughts, It should bring you straight to the Live CD desktop, there was no change like that in 9.10. Weird.:confused:

imnotryan
November 1st, 2009, 01:01 AM
Exactly my thoughts, It should bring you straight to the Live CD desktop, there was no change like that in 9.10. Weird.:confused:

I'm using the x64 version...

I'm downloading the alternate install CD now... Will update in an hour when it's done and burned.

burned_
November 1st, 2009, 01:14 AM
hi
i had the same problem...
i solved it with setting a password by going to a text-console (with ctrl+alt+F1) and typing "passwd" and then the new password, then you can login with username "ubuntu" and the password you set before.

burned

PS: sorry for my bad english^^