PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ahh! Can't get Flash Player loaded 9.10

LoneWolf08
November 1st, 2009, 12:33 AM
Ok tried the little automatic "install missing plugings" thingy when prompted in Firefox but it tells me it can't find ANY of the packages. What?

So then I went to Adobe Flash Player download site and pulled down ALL available options. Followed their instructions for all. Jack sh*t for me.

I'm fairly new to linux so I really dont know what I'm doing wrong. Please help me abandon Apple (wanna be linux) and Windows!

Schendje
November 1st, 2009, 12:37 AM
Easiest way to install Flash is to install the Ubuntu Restricted Extras. They're in the Software Center, or otherwise do:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

In a terminal.

It'll also install some other codecs, mp3 support, Java stuff, etc.

Welcome to Linux, btw! :D

X1R1
November 1st, 2009, 12:39 AM
have you installed ubuntu restricted extras package? If not go to the software center, search for it, and install. the try if your flash works :D

Schendje: Damn you typed faster than me!! lol

aysiu
November 1st, 2009, 12:43 AM
This should help you (includes screenshots):
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/flash

jorgevazq
November 1st, 2009, 01:00 AM
Ok tried the little automatic "install missing plugings" thingy when prompted in Firefox but it tells me it can't find ANY of the packages. What?

So then I went to Adobe Flash Player download site and pulled down ALL available options. Followed their instructions for all. Jack sh*t for me.

I'm fairly new to linux so I really dont know what I'm doing wrong. Please help me abandon Apple (wanna be linux) and Windows!

You should try this:

First type in your Firefox bar
" About:plugins " (whithout the quotations, the :p is actually ":"p, but the forum recognizes it as a smiley :S )

Then, locate the section Shockwave Flash (if you don't have it, better).

Here comes an IF:
IF you have more than one flash plugins, OR you don't have the official provided by Adobe, THEN you should erase those (Synaptic may do the job).
ELSE, you can skip to the next step.

Finally, you can go to Ubuntu Software Center (located in the Applications menu), and find ubuntu-restricted-extras. This package has not only flash but plenty of codecs for restrictive formats such as mp3, aac, mp4... and many more.

Hopes this helps you. :D

LoneWolf08
November 1st, 2009, 01:33 AM
OMG! How easy was that! Followed the advice to go Applications > Ubuntu Software Center > searched for "flash" and found the official Adobe Flash and basically installed it right there! Restarted FF and it's working like a charm!

Man, I didn't think anyone would reply to me until later tonight and I look back here a half hour later and tons of replies!

I LOVE IT!! Thanks everyone. I need to fire up the Terminal and learn how to use that more though huh?

aysiu
November 1st, 2009, 01:36 AM
You don't need to learn to use the terminal, but you may want to just for fun.

X1R1
November 1st, 2009, 01:36 AM
terminal is pretty good if you want to do things fast, and yes you should familiarize yourself with some common commands used in Ubuntu. But ubuntu is also designed in a way that you could live and do everyday things without the terminal :D

LoneWolf08
November 1st, 2009, 01:45 AM
Good call Aysiu & X1R1, I think I'm gonna try to at least run the command that Schendje suggested. Sounds like some important extras to have installed no?

aysiu
November 1st, 2009, 01:47 AM
Good call Aysiu & X1R1, I think I'm gonna try to at least run the command that Schendje suggested. Sounds like some important extras to have installed no?
Those also can be installed through the Ubuntu Software Center. Just search for restricted and click to install ubuntu-restricted-extras.

LoneWolf08
November 1st, 2009, 02:58 AM
Anything else I should install that you guys can think of? I just bumped the Visual Effects (System > Preferences > Appearance) up to Normal and now everything looks nice and clean! Drop shadows too!