PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Panel Lockups on startup with 9.10

Erriapo
November 1st, 2009, 12:23 AM
After upgrading a Dell Vostro 1520 and a Dell XPS 410 from 9.04 to 9.10 I am seeing an issue with the main panel at the top of the screen locking. On the XPS it happens only occasionally, perhaps one in ten boots, but the Vostro sees this happen nearly one in three boots. This issue occurs more often on cold boots than warm boots.

The rest of the OS is functional, I can manipulate all workspace icons as well as right-click to creat new file files and folders. I cannot switch between workspaces or use the show desktop button at the bottom left, but the trash bin is functional. No error messages ever appear on screen. On the top panel I can see most of the icons and all of the menus but they are non-functional. No clock, sound, or network status icons are dispalyed. I use a quick push of the power button to display the shutdown menu, and when I choose restart or shutdown the Panel is shown as nonresponsive. I did clean reinstalls of 9.10 from ISO (including formatting the partition) on both machines to correct the issue but it persists. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

The Vostro machine is dual booting with Vista Home Premium, the XPS is dual booting with Win7. Other than the panel issue everything is great. Great job team! Thank you.

E

redearth
November 18th, 2009, 01:22 AM
I have the exact same problem and it's really annoying. I also have a Dell Vostro 1520, and the panel keeps locking up and I can't access anything on it, except for the trash bin...

redearth
November 18th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Well, the problem goes away when I plug in an external mouse. There just must be some major problem with the touchpad. I have completely verified this because I have tried it multiple times.

So, plug in an external mouse and your problem should hopefully go away.

redearth
November 20th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Okay, update the BIOS to A05 and the problem should go away.

Erriapo
February 10th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Update to my original post: I did away with the dual boot, running only 9.10 now, and no longer have the issue with the panel lock ups. I did not make any changes to drivers or BIOS. Time permitting I will try omitting the dual boot on the XPS 9.10/Win7 box to see if it helps.