PDA

View Full Version : How big is the download the minimal cd has to do during the installation?

wulfgang
October 31st, 2009, 10:55 PM
Hello, I was just wondering how big is the download the minimal cd has to do download ubuntu to finish up the installation.
I want to upgrade to 9.10 but I have Hughes-net,(very little bandwidth room) so I cannot download the full 699 mb 9.10, but only the minimal(13mb).
Thanks.

FuturePilot
October 31st, 2009, 10:58 PM
It probably comes out to about the same amount as the alternate CD.

cariboo
October 31st, 2009, 11:50 PM
You're not going to save any bandwidth by using the mini.iso to do an install, as you have to download almost everything you want to install. The last minimal install I did took just under 1Gb by the time I had everything I wanted installed by comparison my fresh install of Karmic uses 3.5Gb of hard drive space and there are still a few packages I haven't installed yet. I'm holding off installing anything more until I need it, as the mirrors are still pretty slow.

hellion0
November 1st, 2009, 12:28 AM
I think the OP would do better trying to get a disc through ShipIt, to cut the ISP's bandwidth limit out of the equation. It might take a while to get there, but there'd be no hitting the cap.

cariboo
November 1st, 2009, 12:58 AM
+1 for getting a CD from Shipit (https://shipit.ubuntu.com/)