PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't boot

unitedwefall
October 31st, 2009, 08:56 PM
Hey

I used 9.04 basically from its release until about one month ago when it started rancdomly crashing. I did a clean install of 8.04 and it was working absolutely fine (most of that was background) anyway i decided that when 9.10 came out it go all the way up to that and see how it went. All was well untill i got to the 9.04>9.10 upgrade when i hit a snag. The intallation froze and when i went to shut it down from the options menu in the top right the whole thing crashed. Now when i try to boot to 9.04 i get this error
one or more of the mounts in etc/fstab cannot be mounted it then lists my swap and file systems and gives me an option to press escape to get to the recovery shell. i dont know how to resolve that so downloaded a live CD for 9.10 and just tried putting that in- but now i cant get passed the boot screen on it. And even my old 8.04 live CD wont work now to boot from. My windows partition seems to be fine. Any ideas?

macogw
October 31st, 2009, 09:28 PM
"can't get past the boot screen"? Which boot screen? Your BIOS splash where it says DELL or whatever? Or...which part of the CD?

unitedwefall
October 31st, 2009, 09:29 PM
wow okay i managed to get somewhere; i did a
mount -o remount,rw / then
sudo dpkg --configure -a which threw up a couple of error but now i can boot and its very odd. 9.10 seems to be half installed or something cause i have a new login screen and a bit of a new boot sequence but when i get in my touchpad wont work although keyboard shortcuts seem to be ok.

unitedwefall
October 31st, 2009, 09:30 PM
I can get to te part where it says ubuntu and the bar runs across the bottom but no further from CD. Thanks for replying!!

macogw
October 31st, 2009, 09:36 PM
It was mounting read-only because the filesystem got a little screwed up during the shutdown, I think. Try running "fsck" on it from a live cd.