PDA

View Full Version : Jack of so many Master of none

csstudent
October 31st, 2009, 07:27 PM
1)I know basics of C

2)I learnt a little common lisp ,Perl.Java ,PHP

Yet I don't know enough to write anything usefull out of any of them.

Please give my programming life a direction I just
keep hopping from one language to another .:-(

kavon89
October 31st, 2009, 08:23 PM
Choose one you like and start a project. It seems you know C better than any of the others; write a command line program that does something at least mildly useful and work from there. If you're interested in websites etc go for PHP etc.

csstudent
October 31st, 2009, 08:41 PM
Thanks kavin decent advice.Any suggestions
about a project that would need above 500 lines of code

dwhitney67
October 31st, 2009, 09:20 PM
1)I know basics of C

Yet I don't know enough to write anything usefull out of any of them.

Please give my programming life a direction I just
keep hopping from one language to another .:-(

What do you hope to gain by learning/mastering a particular language? Do you plan to become a programmer or s/w engineer?

If you want something purposeful to do, why not volunteer your time to figure out why this forum takes a day-n-forever to deliver email notifications to those that have subscribed to threads. Or better yet, figure out why the forum undergoes maintenance so often that it makes one wonder who is at the "wheel".

kavon89
October 31st, 2009, 09:37 PM
Thanks kavin decent advice.Any suggestions
about a project that would need above 500 lines of code

Think of a problem that can be solved with a program you could write, even though there are alternatives. First one I created was a clipboard manager, even though the user had to paste the text into it to store things. Mildly useful but most likely done better by someone else.

0cton
October 31st, 2009, 10:01 PM
I know how you feel I was in your position.
see you must find something that you will want to do project!
my first real project was an IRC bot in python if you want to give it a try, google it and see for yourself :P
also when you are at university you have no choice but to code kinda
at home you always get lazy and choose the easier thing like playing video-games :P
what else could you do hm?
a random password generator with GUI of course(preferably)
some animation like a bouncing ball, an in/deflating circle etc
(need a library like maybe SDL for this) (also try improving it even if you think you finished it )
something rather funny like let's say a text to 1337 speak converter and such :P preferably with a gui(preferably)
also more advanced but still fun a chat application!
well you get the point :P
an irc bot can be fun cause you start simple, and you can add more and more complex commands and improve your parser.
Good Luck Coding!
edit: also number of lines doesn't really matter that much,it's the program itself, you can improve your programs and even reduce their size and make them more elegant!
I mean point towards a project not toward line numbers or any benchmark at all.

StunnerAlpha
October 31st, 2009, 11:21 PM
Maybe you should go on sourceforge.net or launchpad.net and look up projects that interest you there and try getting involved. That would be a nice place to start if you want to work on something big. But before that I would say you should have a good command over the language you plan on using though, so this is where making your own utility comes in handy in teaching you.

A good way to come up with an idea for what you should make is to look at your own needs, and design something that can help make your life easier. For example, as a programmer I habitually archive my work as I go so that if I ever make a big mistake I can start from a checkpoint of sorts if need be. So I ended up making a python script that saves files to an archive directory with the day's date, etc. After I finished I kept on thinking up ways of how to make it better and added some more functionality such as saving/designating complex paths, checking to see if you are archiving a file that is identical to what has already been archived, etc.

It ended up being helpful enough that I decided to put it up on sourceforge(http://sourceforge.net/projects/frozendirectory/). If you are interested in helping feel free to contact me, but the project is done entirely in Python(which really isn't hard to learn at all).

Anyways best of luck, hope this helps.

samjh
November 1st, 2009, 01:40 AM
1)I know basics of CStart with this. Write a simple game using SDL. Even just a Pong clone will do.

Port the Pong clone to a Java applet (use the standard Java 2D library for drawing).

Then make a website for yourself using PHP.

Embed your Java game into your PHP website.

:)

jpmelos
November 1st, 2009, 02:07 AM
Focus on a language and learn it deep. But you can't be jumping from one to another and expect to master any. Don't try to embrace the world. You can know as many languages as you want, but you can't learn and master them at the same time. Pick one, master, rinse and repeat.