PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 installation

tcesnik
October 31st, 2009, 07:12 PM
Ubuntu 9.10 installation SUCKS!! I have 9.04 installed, and am unable to upgrade.
The server is always busy, and I cannot mount the 9.10 iso. Unbuntu 9.04 recognizes
the 9.10 iso DVD-R, but won't mount the DVD.

8.04 was the last stable installation. I have read the rave reviews, and wonder why the CNET people never have the same problems as the rest of us.
I am just fed up. If I wanted installation headaches, I would purchase Windows 7.

phillw
October 31st, 2009, 07:54 PM
Ubuntu 9.10 installation SUCKS!! I have 9.04 installed, and am unable to upgrade.
The server is always busy, and I cannot mount the 9.10 iso. Unbuntu 9.04 recognizes
the 9.10 iso DVD-R, but won't mount the DVD.

8.04 was the last stable installation. I have read the rave reviews, and wonder why the CNET people never have the same problems as the rest of us.
I am just fed up. If I wanted installation headaches, I would purchase Windows 7.

none of the above.

Server downloaded fine, cd burned fine, 9.10 installed fine... Problem ? What problem ?

Just so as you know it does work for the majority - yes, there are issues for some, but, compared to the debacle of SP2 and Vista crippling computers - I'd say it's gone pretty darn smoothly.

Back to your problems.... patience is a virtue - there are various mirrors to download the iso from - why not try one ? The servers should, hopefully, be recovering by now - I guess they feel like I do, knackered !!!!

http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download

will give u a list of servers if your local one is struggling.

Check your image ...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Post back if you are still having problems.

Regards,

Phill.

tcesnik
October 31st, 2009, 09:17 PM
Enough!! This is BETA software. This is what I expect from Microsoft. The number of people on the forums having installation problems is astonishing. Ubuntu/Canonical
standards are much too low. The dictionary defintion of an idiot is someone who does
the same thing over and over and expects a different result. I am not an idiot.
If I download a second time, the same problem will repeat itself. I did try doing
the upgrade within 9.04 and two files were downloaded. I don't know where
they downloaded to, or what I am supposed to do next. 9.10 is garbagewear.
I'm not going to do anything until Ubuntu/Canonical fixes it. These garbage releases alienate people, and destroy your customer base. I expect VISTA from Microsoft,
but I didn't realize Ubuntu's creaters had such low standards.

windowsfree
October 31st, 2009, 09:46 PM
Enough!! This is BETA software. This is what I expect from Microsoft. The number of people on the forums having installation problems is astonishing. Ubuntu/Canonical
standards are much too low. The dictionary defintion of an idiot is someone who does
the same thing over and over and expects a different result. I am not an idiot.
If I download a second time, the same problem will repeat itself. I did try doing
the upgrade within 9.04 and two files were downloaded. I don't know where
they downloaded to, or what I am supposed to do next. 9.10 is garbagewear.
I'm not going to do anything until Ubuntu/Canonical fixes it. These garbage releases alienate people, and destroy your customer base. I expect VISTA from Microsoft,
but I didn't realize Ubuntu's creaters had such low standards.
Had a slow connection downloading it on Thursday, but had no install problems. Some software I had installed wasn't supported but minor updates and tweaks has me running on 9.10 with no problems. If you downloaded the ISO using Firefox, you may have already defined your download folder in the setup of Firefox, other than doing that it usually asks you where you want to download it to.
Perhaps try posting the concerns as precisely as possible. It helps the group and the answers you get should help you more accurately.