PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Karmic doesn't loads

par.android
October 31st, 2009, 06:27 PM
Hi
I've upgraded my ubuntu jaunty to karmic (64bits) and when rebooting and choosing ubuntu to load the screen goes black, neither the loader appears. I tried to load ubuntu 9.10 generic (fourth option in the grub menu) and it loads but there's no response of the mouse pad.
Have I screwed up my ubuntu?
Could I downgrade to jaunty?

Thanks for the answers

lemming465
November 1st, 2009, 08:22 PM
I always like to try a live CD to see whether or not the hardware support has regressed before committing to an upgrade. The rate of churn in the X server is a little scary, and will probably continue to be for another two years.

I tried to load ubuntu 9.10 generic (fourth option in the grub menu) and it loads but there's no response of the mouse pad.
There are a few other reports of trackpad regressions; you are not the only victim. I'm not sure how long it will take for that to get fixed; it could be issues in either the kernel or the X server. It's been OK for me on a Toshiba satellite laptop, but I probably have a different trackpad driver than you.

Could I downgrade to jaunty?
Unfortunately there is no downgrade manager to correspond to the update-manager; upgrade is a one-way trip. You'll pretty much have to reinstall to revert to jaunty, and depending on your patience and troubleshooting skills, that might be your best option.

If you post more details about your hardware (laptop vendor and specific model, details of video card and jaunty drivers, ...) people can offer you more specific advice.

Sealbhach
November 1st, 2009, 08:42 PM
Try plugging in a USB mouse, if you can get hold of one. It's a workaround until there is a fix for your trackpad.

par.android
November 5th, 2009, 06:41 AM
I thought about plugging a usb mouse but then discovered that that was just one problem: when trying to play a movie the system went to de users screen and never could play a video, also there wasn't no sound.
At the end I decided to backup my files,format and reinstall jaunty. I hope this kind of issues be resolved in Lucid Lynx.

HW info for anyone having the same problems as I :
SYSTEM INFORMATION
Running Ubuntu Linux, the 5.0 release.
GNOME: 2.26.1 (Ubuntu 2009-05-06)
Kernel version: 2.6.28-16-generic (#55-Ubuntu SMP Tue Oct 20 19:48:32 UTC 2009)
GCC: 4.3.3 (x86_64-linux-gnu)
Xorg: unknown (09 April 2009 02:11:54AM) (09 April 2009 02:11:54AM)
Hostname: miguel-laptop
Uptime: 0 days 2 h 3 min

CPU INFORMATION
GenuineIntel, Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz
Number of CPUs: 2
CPU clock currently at 1200.000 MHz with 1024 KB cache
Numbering: family(6) model(23) stepping(10)
Bogomips: 3990.16
Flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm xsave lahf_lm

MEMORY INFORMATION
Total memory: 2913 MB
Total swap: 8534 MB

STORAGE INFORMATION
SCSI device - scsi0
Vendor: ATA
Model: Hitachi HTS54503
SCSI device - scsi1
Vendor: HL-DT-ST
Model: DVDRAM GT20N

HARDWARE INFORMATION
MOTHERBOARD
Host bridge
Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub (rev 09)
Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 0219

GRAPHIC CARD
VGA controller
Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)

SOUND CARD
Multimedia controller
Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)

NETWORK
Network controller
Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
Subsystem: Lite-On Communications Inc Device 6600
Ethernet controller
Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5784M Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 10)
Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 0207