PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] no upgrade notification

ehababoud
October 31st, 2009, 06:12 PM
hi,
i've got ubuntu 9.10 beta and i'm trying to upgrade to the stable release but the update manager has not yet told me about the upgrade. i always update the manager and (at times) the updates are larger than 100MB so i am aware that the default software on the 9.10 beta was being improved, i just don't get the same notification as i got in my older computer when i transferred from 8.10-9.04. that was very smooth. could it be an issue with the sources?

when i use the update manager it refers to i think 81 source files (i think). i don't know if that information may help.

i'd love to get the stable release as this one has a few issues with RAM usage (plus the normal one is always better) and i'd prefer to just click the button to upgrade rather than downloading then burning a whole new disc.

thanks in advance

ehababoud

lemming465
November 1st, 2009, 08:33 PM
The beta should update (install new packages) smoothly as it transitions from beta to release candidate to final version; updates use the same repositories. Upgrades change to new repositories (e.g. jaunty -> karmic), among other things. 81 source files sounds like you have a lot of 3rd party stuff enabled, and it's possible some of that is blocking key packages. You might try temporarily disabling all the non-Ubuntu repositories.

If you aren't getting timely updates, you could try using a different mirror (System -> Administration -> Software Sources; change the "Download from:" dropdown).

At the command line you could try:

sudo aptitude clean
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude full-upgrade
and see if that either works, or yields some informative error messages.

5nak3
November 4th, 2009, 01:01 PM
I'm not quite sure if my problem is related but I noticed on Karmic the update manager will not startup automatically despite there being updates to be had.

I went into gconf-editor and selected apps->update manager and changed the update notification to 0 from the default 7 meaning that updates should be notified asap.

This is not the case however, and I'm forever having to do manual updates. Any ideas how to correct this?

grandtoubab
November 4th, 2009, 01:36 PM
According to http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/910
Change in notifications of available updates

Ubuntu 9.10 launches update-manager directly to handle package updates, instead of displaying a notification icon in the GNOME panel. Users are notified of security updates on a daily basis, but for updates that are not security-related, users will only be prompted once a week.
Users who wish to continue receiving update notifications in the previous manner can restore the earlier behavior using the following command:

gconftool -s --type bool /apps/update-notifier/auto_launch false (This change was made in Ubuntu 9.04.)

Maybe you have only to wait, the process don't show the update icone so quickly, but it works I have seen it at least one time:lolflag: