PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sould I upgrade to 9.10 or wait for a more stable version?

Joe Ker1086
October 31st, 2009, 05:34 PM
Just putting it out there, I see a lot of Negative remarks out there but the good remarks aren't posted quite as often . . . anyone care to elaborate?

dvlchd3
October 31st, 2009, 05:40 PM
I'm running 9.10 fine and loving it! :guitar:

From what I've seen, a lot of the problems are the typical I can't install issues, and questions regarding the new version of grub. I will admit, a lot of the new features feel like a foreign language again, but I guess that will go away with time...

everytimeref
October 31st, 2009, 05:43 PM
People only tend to post on help forums when they need help.

It's a bit like going to a hospital and being surprised at all the ill people.

magneze
October 31st, 2009, 05:46 PM
Download the live CD and boot off that. If everything works then go for the upgrade.

I'm really liking Karmic, although I've lost sound. I assume that'll be fixed eventually - I raised a bug.

Joe Ker1086
October 31st, 2009, 06:57 PM
Download the live CD and boot off that. If everything works then go for the upgrade.

I'm really liking Karmic, although I've lost sound. I assume that'll be fixed eventually - I raised a bug.

Sound has been an issue with multiple ubuntu versions for me. 8.10 was really glitchy with sound and every time it booted the sound was maxed out... but that got fixed with 9.04.

Joe Ker1086
October 31st, 2009, 06:59 PM
People only tend to post on help forums when they need help.

It's a bit like going to a hospital and being surprised at all the ill people.

Kinda what i meant when i said the good stuff doesn't get posted.....which is why i posted this question.

wbee
October 31st, 2009, 07:10 PM
Joe,this is purely anecdotal. I have not counted up and categorized the responses.

That said,I have seen A LOT of problems for those who upgraded and did so by not using the "alternate" download,or doing a clean install with the "alternate" download,or used a 64b download for a 32b bit install,or not reading the release notes,or combinations thereof.

I'm by no means an expert at this but those who are say again and again and again,do a clean install.

For myself,having done a clean install,mine was fast and flawless.

I have not detected any instability at all.

mebigfatguy
October 31st, 2009, 07:31 PM
For myself,having done a clean install,mine was fast and flawless.

I have not detected any instability at all.

I did a clean install and sound is dead. From what i read, it appears that there are quite a bunch of people with SB Audigy 2 sounds that just don't work. Not sure if everyone is busted, but a good number of them anyway.

OP, My advise is wait 2-3 weeks before upgrading. I wish i had.

morefeo
October 31st, 2009, 07:45 PM
I upgraded yesterday and i've got ton of errors with compiz and flash, i'll try making a clean install, if those errors appear again, i'll downgrade to 9.04 =(

Justbill
October 31st, 2009, 08:06 PM
Wait!

3DGE
October 31st, 2009, 08:13 PM
I would wait for some of the bugs to be fixed and then upgrade. I myself installed it the second day it came out and had tons of bugs and problems so I removed it and I think I will just get 9.04 untill there has been new updated to 9.10

I was actually quite disappointing with 9.10 and thought that it would be the best version of Ubuntu andt maybe in time it will be, but for right now I would hold off.

bowens44
October 31st, 2009, 08:17 PM
You will see more negative because most people don't post unless they have an issue.

I did a fresh install,. I moved frm Jaunty 32 bit to Karmic 64 bit. I had a couple of small issues but right now I'm loving it.

kendoori
October 31st, 2009, 08:26 PM
I have not upgraded yet, but did create a Live USB of rc1 last week and ran it on my Thinkpad X61 with no issues. I'm motivated to get to Karmic because the Intel chipset issues in 9.04 are a drag, in spite of the various workarounds available. I will say that upgrading the kernel to the latest non-Karmic kernel has signficantly improved my performance and the various Intel issues seem lessened.

I really don't want to do a clean install for the same reasons that most people don't (I have done a lot of customizations that I don't want to redo). Still, I am nervous that my dual boot multiple partition setup is going to get hosed when I upgrade. I'm prepared to start clean if I have to, but am going to try to upgrade first.

Based on my observations here, I've decided to take a very safe approach as my next step. I bought a second drive for my laptop that I'm going to use Clonezilla to clone to. I will then try an upgrade on the original drive. If it works, great, if not, I will then have a working exact duplicate that I can swap in to my drive bay, and a clean drive to start from scratch on if I need to.

Norm24
October 31st, 2009, 08:29 PM
Karmic has been spectacular for me.And I now can suspend on my laptop!

Mark Phelps
November 1st, 2009, 04:58 AM
Having been upgrading since 7.04, my advice is to wait a couple of weeks at least.

In the meantime, you could do a few things:
1) Boot with a LiveCD to see how well the new Ubuntu version detects your hardware and installs the proper drivers. Make note of anything that does NOT work.
2) Check these forums for general installation-related problems. These will give you an idea of the problems that other folks are having -- and any solutions that have been found.
3) Check these forums for solutions to what did not work with your LiveCD test.

axel_2078
November 1st, 2009, 05:05 AM
I would hold off. This has been the worst Ubuntu release for me yet. I've been trying to get it to boot after the installation for two days now without success. It shouldn't be this hard.

exiter
November 1st, 2009, 05:06 AM
Try it out first Live!
Good idea...I should of done that.
I'm new...didn't have a problem upgrading the last time around.
I'm not worried about sound...the rig I first upgraded the used mostly and a parking lot for my files.
Everything else work fine!!!
I just need to access those files...the upgrade killed Samba and i'm sad.
I'm going to try a clean install here soon...it's going to be a late night...
:popcorn:

Guitar John
November 1st, 2009, 05:10 AM
I did a clean install of 9.04 on my wife's newer (used) computer after I bought it. I had intended to try out 9.10 on mine (currently 8.10). From what I am seeing though, I may just wait for 10.04 LTS.

Not that I am seeing anything wrong with 9.10. It's just that I am not seeing anything that I just "gotta have," that would be worth upgrading for. Everything works right now and as they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."