PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] no shutdown option

gary_emms
October 31st, 2009, 03:26 PM
Hi
Iv'e just upgraded to Kubuntu 9.10, All seems Ok except that I no longer have an option to shutdown or reboot in the 'Leave' section of the menu. As I am in the habit of shutting my PC down when I'm not using it, this is a nuisance to me - I know that I can log off and shutdown from the log on screne but its not the same.
Any one got any ideas as to how I add these options?
thanks
Gaz:confused:

SuperSonic4
October 31st, 2009, 03:30 PM
Have you checked for the kshutdown package? Don't know if it will work.

Also there is a Lock/Logout plasmoid on my install - perhaps that will work. If push comes to shove you can shut down from the command line
sudo shutdown -hP now or
sudo shutdown hh:mm for a certain time

gary_emms
November 1st, 2009, 01:52 PM
Thanks, Kshutdown does the job.
:popcorn:

drumz
November 3rd, 2009, 06:33 PM
Why doesn't the lock/logout widget have a shutdown option anymore? I find this really annoying - i have to log out first, then do a shutdown. Even on the KDE menu there's no shutdown option on the Leave menu item - I can hibernate and sleep but not shutdown.

froghopper
November 3rd, 2009, 07:50 PM
System Settings -> Advanced -> Session Manager -> Offer shutdown options

drumz
November 3rd, 2009, 08:15 PM
The checkbox for 'offer shutdown options' is checked already.

This is on a laptop that has both gnome and kde installed. I've even moved my ~/.kde to ~/.kde-old so I had a fresh directory...

froghopper
November 4th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Hmmm if you have both kde and gnome are you logging into kde from kdm or gdm? I think if you log into kde from gdm (or gnome from kde) you can only return to the login manager not shutdown from the window manager (without some hacks)

You can try:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

or kdm to switch between them

drumz
November 4th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Ok, tried the 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm' and still the same thing. When I click on the 'leave' button in the lock/logout applet the only option shown is logout.

Zillode
November 15th, 2009, 10:41 PM
I have the same problem on my laptop.

drumz
November 17th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Got it working: Despite following one of the previous poster's instructions on switching from gdm to kdm to handle the login process, IT NEVER SWITCHED!

ps -ef | grep gdm showed it was running.

Running the command
sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm and then selecting kdm did the trick after I rebooted.

Now when I use the logout/lock widget I get the shutdown option! Yeah!!!

(But it sounds like a bug!)

EDIT:

I opened bug 484522 on this today. I don't really care whether I use gdm/kdm, but with kdm evolution keeps prompting me to unlock the keyring on login and with gdm the shutdown/restart option disappears so I need at least one of them work work cleanly ;-)