PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see any 200 USD laptops with wireless G built in?

coldReactive
October 31st, 2009, 03:00 PM
Just wondering, because that's all I gots in terms of money.

I also absolutely despise netbooks.

Skripka
October 31st, 2009, 03:11 PM
Just wondering, because that's all I gots in terms of money.

I also absolutely despise netbooks.

Notebooks are a no man's land between desktops and netbooks. In price, and performance. I'll warn you that Wireless G is going to start feeling uber-slow and obsolete very quickly, now that Wireless N is standardized.

Even if you could find a sub$200 you probably wouldn't want it. About your only hope is Ebay/CL.

pwnst*r
October 31st, 2009, 03:21 PM
Notebooks are a no man's land between desktops and netbooks. In price, and performance. I'll warn you that Wireless G is going to start feeling uber-slow and obsolete very quickly, now that Wireless N is standardized.

no, G is fine for everyday wireless use. unless you're planning in streaming HD (which won't happen at a $200 price point), G is not an issue.

to the OP. you won't find a new laptop for that price unless you find something on black friday/cyber monday or get lucky on CL or eBay as the above poster said.

afeasfaerw23231233
October 31st, 2009, 05:27 PM
But an internal N wireless card (either USB or PCI-e) for notebook is not expensive at all. I can get one under 15 USD here.

Tipped OuT
October 31st, 2009, 05:32 PM
@ OP
Yes, but they're not exactly bleeding edge. They're made to run Windows XP... 256 MB's of RAM... Dx8 card... you know the works.

coldReactive
October 31st, 2009, 05:44 PM
@ OP
Yes, but they're not exactly bleeding edge. They're made to run Windows XP... 256 MB's of RAM... Dx8 card... you know the works.

That doesn't matter, since I don't game anymore, and I already have a PS3, so why would I need to game on my PC?

All I really need is one with a CD/DVD Drive, wireless G and at least one USB Port and maybe ethernet.

NoaHall
October 31st, 2009, 05:45 PM
You know, you could just install Yellow Dog on your PS3

coldReactive
October 31st, 2009, 05:46 PM
You know, you could just install Yellow Dog on your PS3

I have a PS3 slim. No can do.

NoaHall
October 31st, 2009, 05:50 PM
I have a PS3 slim. No can do.

Ah. It's a shame they got rid of it, but hey, it had crap RAM + GPU support.

pwnst*r
October 31st, 2009, 06:01 PM
Ah. It's a shame they got rid of it, but hey, it had crap RAM + GPU support.

it's for gaming, who really gives a crap if it's not perfect for a desktop OS

NoaHall
October 31st, 2009, 06:14 PM
it's for gaming, who really gives a crap if it's not perfect for a desktop OS

I do, as do many other people.

pwnst*r
October 31st, 2009, 06:20 PM
I do, as do many other people.

oh, i'm sorry, i didn't realize gaming console makers were supposed to take into account the <1% of the userbase that would use the console as a pc. my bad. you should be happy that sony even had that option in the fat. i don't see MS or anybody else doing that.

coldReactive
October 31st, 2009, 06:34 PM
Okay seriously you guys, any takerees I should look at?

NoaHall
October 31st, 2009, 06:39 PM
oh, i'm sorry, i didn't realize gaming console makers were supposed to take into account the <1% of the userbase that would use the console as a pc. my bad. you should be happy that sony even had that option in the fat. i don't see MS or anybody else doing that.

What the hell are you talking about? I never said they should, I was merely pointing out the fact it doesn't have great support.

And I'd consider getting a netbook, some have quite nice keyboards. Other than that, ebay.

coldReactive
October 31st, 2009, 06:42 PM
And I'd consider getting a netbook, some have quite nice keyboards. Other than that, ebay.

I don't like the idea of having to buy an extra DVD Drive add-on thing.

Tipped OuT
October 31st, 2009, 06:47 PM

Well Google around, we don't know exactly what you want. I'm just warning you, the laptops available for that price aren't the best.

NoaHall
October 31st, 2009, 06:48 PM

Ah.

This is the cheapest Dell has - http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/notebooks/laptop-inspiron-10/pd.aspx?refid=laptop-inspiron-10&s=dhs&cs=19&~oid=us~en~29~laptop-inspiron-10v_anav2~~
Oh wait, no DVD/CD drive. Hm.

Comes with Ubuntu already.

coldReactive
October 31st, 2009, 06:50 PM
Well Google around, we don't know exactly what you want. I'm just warning you, the laptops available for that price aren't the best.

I've tried google, looked around, but most of the results are feeds from eBay, or no longer valid offers, etc.

pwnst*r
October 31st, 2009, 07:19 PM
well what are you using an optical drive for? i don't recall the last time i've used mine for my HP laptop. my lenovo x200 doesn't have one and i don't miss it one bit.

coldReactive
October 31st, 2009, 07:28 PM
well what are you using an optical drive for? i don't recall the last time i've used mine for my HP laptop. my lenovo x200 doesn't have one and i don't miss it one bit.

Know any non-ebay laptops that sell for under 200, don't have an optical drive and have a screen size of bigger than 13 inches?

ssam
October 31st, 2009, 07:42 PM
get a second hand thinkpad. http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki will help you choose one.

phrizek
October 31st, 2009, 07:42 PM
You are probably best off scouring craigslist. I don't think you'll find anything in that price range new nowadays.

coldReactive
October 31st, 2009, 07:52 PM
get a second hand thinkpad. http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki will help you choose one.

searching for wireless gives me a list of adapters, which I don't want. :| I want it integrated.

coldReactive
October 31st, 2009, 11:38 PM
Wow, I-I... found one. o_O

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5276625&CatId=17

Skripka
October 31st, 2009, 11:44 PM
Wow, I-I... found one. o_O

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5276625&CatId=17

If you don't mind DDR2-5300 memory, and a CPU that is 3 generations obsolete--there you go....also presuming you don't mind buying a previously leased computer...

coldReactive
October 31st, 2009, 11:45 PM
If you don't mind DDR2-5300 memory, and a CPU that is 3 generations obsolete--there you go....also presuming you don't mind buying a previously leased computer...

As long as it runs well, and can run linux well and can connect to my wireless G network, I'm all for it.