PDA

View Full Version : My favorite improvements in Karmic

ankspo71
October 31st, 2009, 01:07 PM
Hi,

Since there seems to be alot of people having problems with Karmic, I thought it would be nice to read what people say about their favorite parts of Karmic. In my case (so far), it is some things that I have seen improved since Jaunty.

1 'sudo apt-get autoremove' has improved. It hasn't broken my system yet and finds more packages to remove than before. This might be my most favorite improvement. (I still recommend using this with caution though.)

2 The appearance is much better overall.

3. A bigger choice of wallpapers.

4. Trash applet works better. The icon showed trash in my trash every time so far.

5. I can use ALt + Left Click to drag a window up while compiz is running.

6. Shadows don't overlap windows anymore.

7. Alt + Ctrl + Backspace can easily be enabled.

8. The live cd seems to be more responsive than Jaunty's.

So what do you all especially like about Karmic (so far)?
James.

dsavi
October 31st, 2009, 01:22 PM
The startup/Shutdown time is great. It seriously takes ~5 seconds for my computer to shut down and ~30 seconds to start up (I haven't timed it) and it's a two year old midrange Dell desktop.

Bachstelze
October 31st, 2009, 01:23 PM
2.6.31 kernel, yeah \o/

Sealbhach
October 31st, 2009, 01:28 PM
My sound now works correctly right out of the box.

Wireless always worked, but now when I flip the switch on the front case of my laptop, it connects up automatically... before now, I used to have to coax it a little by disabling and enabling networking.

Startup is only slightly faster, but shutdown is scary fast, around 3 seconds - I thought I had borked something when I first shutdown in Karmic.

nisshh
October 31st, 2009, 02:33 PM
My sound also now works out of the box, my shutdown is slower because my usplash is currupt(but its no big deal), but my startup is(i swear this is true) about 8 seconds faster. Also i really like the new kernel and gnome-shell.