PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Please help a beginner in installing wlan in ubuntu 9.10

paglahaawa
October 31st, 2009, 12:18 PM
Hello!
I am an absolute beginner in linux. Just managed to download and install inside windows ubuntu 9.10 . Comapq c400 is the model. Everything is fine. Broadcom wlan 8.11b is not functioning. The button is blue(functional). The wlan symbol on top right is inactive. When i click on that, i have the option for configuring wlan. My router is dlink. what will be dssid? what should be the sucurity? please help!!!!
Thanks and regards in advance.

CmdGabriel
October 31st, 2009, 12:48 PM
Hello!
I am an absolute beginner in linux. Just managed to download and install inside windows ubuntu 9.10 . Comapq c400 is the model. Everything is fine. Broadcom wlan 8.11b is not functioning. The button is blue(functional). The wlan symbol on top right is inactive. When i click on that, i have the option for configuring wlan. My router is dlink. what will be dssid? what should be the sucurity? please help!!!!
Thanks and regards in advance.++
Your question has nothing to do with Linux. You need to know, what you defined in your Router!

melat0nin
October 31st, 2009, 01:07 PM
Hello!
Thanks and regards in advance.

If you run Windows and double-click the wireless icon in the system tray (bottom right corner of the screen), you'll be given a list of wireless networks. One of those will be your router (through which you've been connecting to the internet under Windows). You have to select that same network in Ubuntu, then enter your network passkey (which you should have defined when you first used the router), and everything should work fine (assuming your wireless card is supported in Ubuntu).