PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] "Can never please all the people all the time."

garvinrick4
October 31st, 2009, 08:18 AM
"Can never please all the people all the time."
It absolutely applys to Ubuntu.
I have to applaud the thick skin of the people who make the decisions
on what a version of their distro is going to end up like.
6 months of thousands of men and women working on a project knowing they
are going to be kicked around no matter what they deliver.
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." Certain things will never change and I am
glad their our the ones who do the work and deliver me a project that I can enjoy.
9/10th of the problems seem to be user error. Some granted are driver difficulty that
will be fixed shortly. There are only 10 million different hardware combo's. Stick with and
work through it, it is fun. A few days from now people will say hey 9.10 is working great
why is 10.04 Alpha 2 such a mess (he just said yes to partial upgrades) we all did it once.
Have a Nice Day, I am going to.

earthpigg
October 31st, 2009, 09:38 AM
good post.

i would suggest that people should consider it a compliment that users expect near perfection out of a final product being given away for $0.00 with fundamental freedoms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software#Definition) preserved, though.

when you set a ridiculously high standard through great historical improvements and contributions, it inevitably makes it hard to actually live up to it. price of success.

i am confident ubuntu dev's will continue to rise to the challenge, thus creating higher and higher end user expectations.