PDA

View Full Version : Poll - 9.10 Upgrade vs. Clean Install

cheetaux
October 31st, 2009, 06:00 AM
Did you do an upgrade to 9.10 and have problems or did you do a clean install and have any problems.

HappyFeet
October 31st, 2009, 06:21 AM
Where's the option of no problems? It does happen you know.

cheetaux
October 31st, 2009, 06:36 AM
You're right, I should have included the "no problem option". Is it possible to change the poll.

Also, from my experiance, I rarely have any problems after a clean install.

padams10001
October 31st, 2009, 06:46 AM
Did an upgrade and only had a couple of minor problems.

solwic
October 31st, 2009, 07:07 AM
Did a clean install and, initially, had no issues. As I used it more, however, more and more bugs became clear.

So back to Jaunty for a month or two. :biggrin:

roccity1
October 31st, 2009, 07:12 AM
Did a upgrade and had no problems yet but I have only had it installed for about 2 hours. I'm still setting it up on the lappy.Big improvment on the intel front. Compiz worked out of the box. Didnt need to comment out /usr/bin/compiz. I'm happy with this release.

ngohaibac
October 31st, 2009, 07:18 AM
I am very happy with this release, it supports my Laptop (MSI VX600) better than the previous one which I have some problems with graphic driver.

In my desktop, I have few problems with login, it can't create /home/user/.nautilus. I guess because of the privilege of that partion. I am installing it again and try to set again.

Have fun !

Khakilang
October 31st, 2009, 07:27 AM
Did you do an upgrade to 9.10 and have problems or did you do a clean install and have any problems.

Don't know. Just upgrading half way when I reply this post. Hope no problem. If not I have to reformat and have to clean install with 9.10.

Irihapeti
October 31st, 2009, 07:38 AM
I've done a clean install on a spare partition. I've got a problem with alsa/pulseaudio and I've filed a bug report.

I also installed onto an old laptop, and I have a "problem" there of that new disk utility telling me that the HDD has a number of bad sectors.

Actually, the problem has been there for a while, I think, but instead of it being buried and overlooked in a mass of smartctl output, it is now being pointed out in red type. That, I think, is an improvement.

Plumtreed
October 31st, 2009, 11:48 AM
Upgrade, but encountered problems with Grub/Grub2..once sorted it goes well.

KeLa
October 31st, 2009, 11:56 AM
Where is the option: Did the upgrade and had no problems?
I did two clean installs, one to HP dv6 (everything ok) and one for eeePC (no problems)
I'm happy with this.
Thanks.

gunashekar
October 31st, 2009, 11:58 AM
I had no problems with a clean install. I clean installed to enable Ext4 and grub 2 , else i would have upgraded.

Kevbert
October 31st, 2009, 12:22 PM
Upgraded and no real problems.
Also performed a new clean install. Had to install Broadcom wireless drivers from an old version (9.04). Display adapter (Nvidia 7600) drivers had to be installed first by installing some packages via Synaptic and then via System-Admin-Hardware drivers (no previous drivers displayed prior to installing some packages via Synaptic). Random crashes (package not supported/maintained by Ubuntu - yet I'd only installed packages from CD at that point).
Like the new themes and icon set though.

xc3RnbFO8P
October 31st, 2009, 12:35 PM
Where is the option: Did the upgrade and had no problems?
I did two clean installs, one to HP dv6 (everything ok) and one for eeePC (no problems)
I'm happy with this.
Thanks.

Upgrade from Jaunty:
no soundcard and no harware driver to my Nvidia GS9500.

Fresh install works fine,
only one problem so far, Suspend doesn't work.

Bachstelze
October 31st, 2009, 12:36 PM
Upgrade, no problem.

pi4r0n
October 31st, 2009, 12:38 PM
Where's the option of no problems? It does happen you know.

It was OK for me :)

steveneddy
October 31st, 2009, 02:31 PM
I DLed the .iso, burned ti to CD and tried to launch it last night to play with it in LiveCD land but it wouldn't get past the initial screen.

I'll mess around with that today.

Still debating installing it, though.

sports fan Matt
October 31st, 2009, 03:28 PM
No problems here either although doing a clean install & using ext4 when the disk arrives.

mwalimu54
October 31st, 2009, 06:18 PM
smoothest release yet. I did a clean install using the 64-bit version and it was painless. My bluetooth connection finally works now. My only gripe is that suspend never has, and still doesn't work properly.

eolson
October 31st, 2009, 06:25 PM
I don't know if this counts or not. I did a clean install of the Alfa release to three different machines. One at a time, spread out over about two weeks just to be safe. Did the system updates as they became available. I don't recall having any isues along the way. Everything went smoothly. Asume I'm using the final release now being as how I've been doing the updates.

P.S. I don't recommend Alfa or even Beta releases unless your willing to put up with some issues. I got lucky this time. Usually there are bugs that need fixing. That's the reason for the Alfa and Beta releases.

bonfire89
October 31st, 2009, 06:31 PM
clean install (like always) an NO problems.

I am very impressed with 9.10. I like the direction the visuals are going (among many other things). I have always disliked the "open source feel" and this one moved away from it a bit.

I also finally got my external monitor working. I am extremely happy.

timsdeepsky
October 31st, 2009, 06:41 PM
I tried a fresh 9.10 install last night and never could get past a grub2 problem....It would say grub loading,,and it would stay there and go no further....Could not get to any O.S. in my machine....I ended up putting in a fresh 9.04 install,,and upgrading to 9.10....Seems to be something to do with my dual boot,,and grub2 not being in the right spot....The upgrade was flawless....

pizza-is-good
October 31st, 2009, 06:44 PM
I'm actually doing a 2nd fresh install of it right now. First one was good, but I had some partition problems, so I decided to do another one.

It is taking forever to download the language packs............................................. ..................................................

Still going.....

infestor
October 31st, 2009, 06:53 PM
i have a kernel crash problem...apparently it is a bug...hope they are gonna fix it soon
other than that i like the speed of karmic

toupeiro
October 31st, 2009, 07:17 PM
Upgrade.

I have seen one regression. By making Shiretoko the default firefox browser, it has impacted Citrix's 11.0 client because I dont think it knows its really firefox.

I don't think it would really matter if I did a clean install or an upgrade in this case, as I would have shiretoko in the end with both options.

sanderella
October 31st, 2009, 07:42 PM
Did an upgrade, no problems, its really nice. I like the bolder fonts and the desktop backgrounds are lovely. Thank you Canonical and everybody who worked on it. :KS

cheetaux
October 31st, 2009, 10:15 PM
I did a clean install of 9.10 (32-bit) to two machines: a Dell 1420n laptop (Ubuntu only - no dual boot) and a Dell Dimension E510 destkop that is dual-booting with XP. No problems with either install. I am still using the ext3 filesystem.

Eagles18
November 1st, 2009, 12:42 AM
I did an update and,even though it took over 12 hours to install(went to school at 6am came back at 5:30pm and it still wasn't done), I have noticed no problems yet.

FuturePilot
November 1st, 2009, 12:44 AM
I usually only do upgrades, but because of some of the big changes in 9.10 I did a fresh install.