PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] pop-up message during Dolphin startup

xuCGC002
October 31st, 2009, 04:41 AM
Configuration file "/home/collin/.kde/share/config/dolphinrc" not writable.
Please contact your system administrator.

Is what a message displays each time I open Dolphin. Which is annoying. Clicking OK usually lets me do what i need to do, but... I just wanna know how to remove it. And I'm using Karmic.

Old *ix Geek
October 31st, 2009, 06:07 AM
Configuration file "/home/collin/.kde/share/config/dolphinrc" not writable.
Please contact your system administrator.The permissions need to be changed so the file is writeable.

Depending on who the owner of the file is, you may or may not need to do this with sudo. In a terminal, type this:

chmod 666 ~/.kde/share/config/dolphinrc

and press [enter]. That should do it. If you're still having problems, post again!

SirPecanGum
January 23rd, 2010, 01:26 PM
Thank you!

a6equj5
August 12th, 2010, 03:25 AM
I'm pretty new to Ubuntu. I had installed regular Ubuntu but decided to try Kububtu. The original install didn't do this when I launched Nautilus, but I get the same error as the original poster. Why isn't this configured by default? I'm kind of curious about things like this and why I'd need to chmod a file that should be writable by default.

Did I do something wrong during installation? I'm wondering if I need to re-install. Hopefully I don't run in to additional issues.

So far, loving Kubuntu! :D

hellnest
October 30th, 2010, 02:32 PM
it's like a bug... sometimes when you change profile picture also it's didn't change ^^

Zorael
November 2nd, 2010, 04:22 PM
This is the kind of thing that can happen if you open graphical applications with sudo instead of with kdesudo (or gksudo). Then the program gets started as root but using your user's home directory for its settings, so root may assume ownership of files.

sudo for terminal, kdesudo for graphical. Never ever 'sudo dolphin' or 'sudo systemsettings'.