PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] A Question For All Of You.

Phantoome
October 31st, 2009, 02:51 AM
Is it even worth upgrading from 9.04 to 9.10? I seriously get dissapointed when i see all of this..
Sorry if i should have misplaced this topic.

RTrev
October 31st, 2009, 03:19 AM
Is it even worth upgrading from 9.04 to 9.10? I seriously get dissapointed when i see all of this..

If you don't have any complaints with 9.04, I can't think of any reason to upgrade.

I do it because I'm interested in what they're doing. 9.04 worked fine for me, and I have the luxury of two machines sitting side by side so I can play on one of them and maintain my connection to "the world" on the other. <g>

Most of the changes aren't things that I personally care much about, although 9.10 seems a bit snappier to me. I can't back that up with numbers.

I also just upgrade on general principle, assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that security and stability issues in the kernel and in Gnome and other supporting software will have been addressed. Of course I realize that, at the same time, new issues may have been introduced.

I guess it's mainly a desire to see where the whole thing is heading that keeps me coming back for the latest version.

claymater
October 31st, 2009, 03:21 AM

The forum is mainly filled with people with problems, not people who are going to be talking about how amazing it is! (You dont hear about the windows forum getting "OMG I LOVE THIS!!!")

I have had 0 problems with 9.10, I love it!

If you want, upgrade, if you want to wait it out till it is "safe" you can do that too, its all about YOU. Welcome to linux.

RTrev
October 31st, 2009, 03:23 AM
I seriously get dissapointed when i see all of this..

p.s. If by "all of this" you mean the problems and bug reports, that's kind of typical when there's a new release. Just wait a bit and the developers will shoot those bugs and things will settle down. <g>

Phantoome
October 31st, 2009, 03:37 AM
ok, so i do hear some good, i am using ubuntu for a week now after testing se7en,
now i'm pretty convinced about dumping windows.. I will try the upgrade
and learn along! hehe

axel_2078
October 31st, 2009, 03:38 AM
I've been fighting with this release for two days now trying to get it to boot after the installation. It seems many others are having problems as well.

claymater
October 31st, 2009, 03:39 AM
ok, so i do hear some good, i am using ubuntu for a week now after testing se7en,
now i'm pretty convinced about dumping windows.. I will try the upgrade
and learn along! hehe

And we have converted another one! :D

connorh123
October 31st, 2009, 03:41 AM
Hi.
I had the same question popping in my head, "is this worth it? should I do this? What's going to happen". Of course, I'm waiting a couple of days while everyone gets their version, that way downloading won't take as long if there's not a lot of people trying to get it in one day.

oboedad55
October 31st, 2009, 03:45 AM
I installed new on my desktop and upgraded my laptop. Both are running smoothly. In the good old days upgrading Linux was impossible. This is the first time I've tried it in years and it went great. I had jaunty installed with ext4 so no changes there.

stinger30au
October 31st, 2009, 04:42 AM
9.10 works fine on my pc

why not download it and run it from cd/dvd first and try for yourself

if u like it , install it

macogw
October 31st, 2009, 04:49 AM
Fresh installs seem to be going much more smoothly for folks than upgades. FWIW, I've been using 9.10 since May and think it's the best Ubuntu release yet.

RTrev
October 31st, 2009, 04:53 AM
Hi.
I had the same question popping in my head, "is this worth it? should I do this? What's going to happen". Of course, I'm waiting a couple of days while everyone gets their version, that way downloading won't take as long if there's not a lot of people trying to get it in one day.

If you use the Torrents for downloading, there is no problem at all with lots of people downloading at once. You really should check this out. It's quite cool, and very much in the spirit of open source and sharing.

Phantoome
October 31st, 2009, 12:56 PM
yes, i upgraded this night and i must say for now it went flawless!
Now lets see if i'll get those errors of here.
while installing i noticed some visual have been changed in the good way!
Keep on impressing Ubuntu!

bobmendon
October 31st, 2009, 01:13 PM
I managed to install 9.10 on my Dell machine successfully, but it would not start (video issue) on my ASUS/AMD Quad Core Machine using an Nvidia 9600 1 GB video card. From what I was able to see on the Dell machine, there is not any earth shaking changes in this release. Even the rumored drift away from the earth tone color scheme never happened. It's all pretty much like Windows 7 ... same stuff, different package.

Phantoome
October 31st, 2009, 01:29 PM
I managed to install 9.10 on my Dell machine successfully,
but it would not start (video issue) on my ASUS/AMD Quad Core Machine using an Nvidia 9600 1 GB video card. From what
I was able to see on the Dell machine, there is not any earth shaking changes in this release. Even the rumored drift away from the earth tone color scheme never happened. It's all pretty much like Windows 7 ... same stuff, different package.

Now is it broke or isn't it?
There are no earth shaking changes indeed, but i guess they do wanna improve every user friendly button or widget or application to the norms of the user himself.