PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Getting password after Automatic Login

Skane2600
October 31st, 2009, 02:05 AM
When installing Ubuntu you have the option of choosing automatic login instead of creating a password. Later you may need to use your password. Is it possible to find/create a password in this scenario?

Thanks

celtic426
October 31st, 2009, 02:10 AM
You can set up your password by going to System-Administration-Users and Groups. Click properties on your name and you will see the password there.

Also for setting up the login screen, go to System-Administration-Login Screen

Skane2600
October 31st, 2009, 02:29 AM
I don't see my password in the properties and a password is required to access the login screen.

celtic426
October 31st, 2009, 06:17 PM
I don't see my password in the properties and a password is required to access the login screen.

Alright, open Users and Groups up and then click the key symbol to make changes and type your password. Then click on your name in the usernames list. Then click Properties which is to the right. In there you should find what you need.

coffeecat
October 31st, 2009, 06:26 PM
@Skane2600, is it that you've forgotten your password and so you can't do any administrative tasks, including resetting your password? It's not quite clear.

If that's the case, you need to boot up into recovery mode and reset it from the command line. Here's how:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

Skane2600
October 31st, 2009, 07:49 PM
@Skane2600, is it that you've forgotten your password and so you can't do any administrative tasks, including resetting your password? It's not quite clear.

If that's the case, you need to boot up into recovery mode and reset it from the command line. Here's how:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

I think people are missing the point. If when you install Ubuntu you choose the automatic login option, you don't create a password. So I didn't forget my password, I never had one (yes, there might be an internal one, but it isn't displayed). Any solution that requires entering my password is obviously not going to be possible.

It seems to me that this install option should be removed if it requires using the recovery mode to find out what your password is (assuming there's no solution that hasn't been suggested yet).

Obviously I'd advise anyone trying Ubuntu to ignore that option and make sure they create a password so they know what it is when they need it.

Thanks to all who have attempted to answer my question.

coffeecat
October 31st, 2009, 11:53 PM
I think people are missing the point. If when you install Ubuntu you choose the automatic login option, you don't create a password.

No - it is impossible to install Ubuntu without setting a password unless you do an OEM install from the alternate CD.

coffeecat
November 1st, 2009, 12:25 AM
OK - I thought I would make this clearer with a screenshot. You have to choose a password (which is also your administrative password) to install Ubuntu. (Except in the case of an OEM install which is an entirely different matter.) This is is the screen where you have to both give the password (twice), and choose whether or not to login automatically. Just because you have an automatic login without entering a password does not mean you do not have a password. You cannot get past this screen without setting a password.

Skane2600
November 1st, 2009, 01:40 AM
I tried to do another install to test your claim and you were correct - I couldn't go beyond that screen without choosing a password. Remembering things that didn't happen - not a good sign :)

Sorry for wasting everyones time. At least if someone is suffering from the same delusion someday they'll be able to search for the answer without embarrassment.

coffeecat
November 1st, 2009, 10:50 AM
Sorry for wasting everyones time. At least if someone is suffering from the same delusion someday they'll be able to search for the answer without embarrassment.

No problem. You haven't wasted anyone's time; don't be embarrassed. You're not the first to not remember that they had to assign a password. I can assure you that you won't be the last. :) Put it down to unfamiliarity with a new environment.

By the way I've edited my last post and changed the image to an uploaded one. The linked image was from a Jaunty install. I just happened to be doing a new Karmic install and I thought it would be better to show a Karmic one.

All this editing and posting was done from the Karmic live CD. Ain't Ubuntu marvellous? :p