PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Any compelling reason to upgrade?

gfe
October 31st, 2009, 01:58 AM
My apologies if this question has already been asked and answered ... if so, please direct me to the thread I couldn't find.

I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 with a pretty standard setup, except that I'm using Opera as my browser and have made various tweaks and added some packages for occasional audio and light video editing. I'm very satisfied with the setup and don't anticipate the need for adding any major packages other than upgrading the software I already have as changes come along.

My only complaint about 9.04 is that occasionally Evolution hangs on me; I may switch to Thunderbird but haven't decided yet.

So is there anything substantial I would gain by upgrading to 9.10? I do like being up to date on things, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.

Thanks in advance!

mrpeachy
October 31st, 2009, 02:00 AM
something 9.10 does that 9.04 didnt do is to work fully my creative zen mozaic.
important for me, but maybe not all that compelling

hantechbl
October 31st, 2009, 02:01 AM
All i see is longer support and possibly more packages that come on install.

raymondh
October 31st, 2009, 02:03 AM
My apologies if this question has already been asked and answered ... if so, please direct me to the thread I couldn't find.

I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 with a pretty standard setup, except that I'm using Opera as my browser and have made various tweaks and added some packages for occasional audio and light video editing. I'm very satisfied with the setup and don't anticipate the need for adding any major packages other than upgrading the software I already have as changes come along.

My only complaint about 9.04 is that occasionally Evolution hangs on me; I may switch to Thunderbird but haven't decided yet.

So is there anything substantial I would gain by upgrading to 9.10? I do like being up to date on things, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.

Thanks in advance!

Without offering any reason to upgrade or not to ..... and just to offer a suggestion....

Wait a few weeks and peruse the forums while waiting. See what our fellow members are experiencing and go from there.

I have been tweaking Karmic since Alpha. Although I have not had any problems which could not be solved, I have not yet decided on making it "production" status. I plan to wait a little longer and peruse the forums.

Good luck. back-up.

gsparky2004
October 31st, 2009, 02:07 AM
Unless you have something that you really want to work that you can't get to work under 9.04, I'd say follow raymondhenson's advice. I've discovered that my USB webcam (an olllllllld Intel) is now working when it didn't work under 9.04. Other than that, can't see anything that really makes me say, "Wow! This is a great upgrade!" HOWEVER, if you have someone who is looking to start on Linux from scratch, BY ALL MEANS go with 9.10!

JohnsonMR
October 31st, 2009, 03:06 AM
Intel Graphics performance is much, much better.

claymater
October 31st, 2009, 03:09 AM
I dont know what would be best for you, but I couldn't get 9.04 to work when 9.10 I got everything (EVERYTHING) to work out of the box!

gfe
October 31st, 2009, 03:25 AM
Thanks, all. And I'll follow the advice given (and read any more that comes along).

Intel Graphics performance is much, much better.
That is worth knowing, since I have an Intel graphics card.