PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] awn manager doesn't start

Smooke
October 30th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Hello,

i just have installed AWN and cannot open manager...The bar?/dock appears (as it should), but cannot open "dock preferences"..Tried everything...Nothing hapens. When tryin' start manager through the terminal got message something like that (translation from other language):

expected "int", received "float" for key /apps/avant-window-navigator/bar/bar_angle

any ideas?

plsss help

regards
s

KlinerDraken
October 31st, 2009, 12:33 AM
the error sounds like you have a "float" value in your bar_angle settings

press alt-F2 type gconf-editor hit {enter}

in the left pane navigate to /apps/avant-window-navigator/bar

look at the value that is set in bar_angle and see if it is a "float" value (ie. 1.25) instead of a int(integer) value (ie. 1)

if it is a float value remove the decimal portion including the "." so if it is 0.1234 you would make it 0

Note: this is a setting for the angle of the bar (of course) numbers can be set to any whole number from 0 to 90. 0 being horizontal 90 being vertical. If you want just set the value to 0 and it will be horizontal.

hope that makes sense and helps ;)

Smooke
October 31st, 2009, 10:12 AM
Hello,

this is really strange...Checked gconf-editor and the valuey of the key is proper - was set to 45, changed to 0. Didn't help. The problem is with preferences, not with bar. The bar is OK, but preferences doesn't start. Can't change any settings, can't add any applet...Still when tryin' to start manager/preferences through the terminal i get message, which correspond to bar problems, not manager...I'm confused...

KlinerDraken
November 5th, 2009, 01:00 AM
maybe you can uninstall then reinstall it to see if that helps

sudo apt-get remove awn-manager --purge
sudo apt-get install awn-manager

gamdang
November 5th, 2009, 03:53 PM
When I went to edit bar_angle 'Type' was set to "float", but it was grayed out so I didn't even notice the first time.
Once I unset the key it changed to "integer" by itself and the manager launched without any trouble.

I hope that helps.

Smooke
November 6th, 2009, 11:14 AM
ok. i'll check it out in few days and give You guys answer...The computer is not mine, but my father's.

greetings
sz

Harold.Gcia
November 8th, 2009, 09:56 AM
the error sounds like you have a "float" value in your bar_angle settings

press alt-F2 type gconf-editor hit {enter}

in the left pane navigate to /apps/avant-window-navigator/bar

look at the value that is set in bar_angle and see if it is a "float" value (ie. 1.25) instead of a int(integer) value (ie. 1)

if it is a float value remove the decimal portion including the "." so if it is 0.1234 you would make it 0

Note: this is a setting for the angle of the bar (of course) numbers can be set to any whole number from 0 to 90. 0 being horizontal 90 being vertical. If you want just set the value to 0 and it will be horizontal.

hope that makes sense and helps ;)
I have the same problem. I did what you said but it's still not working. I changed the value to 0, but its still saying "float" instead of "integer". is there something else that can be done.

Harold.Gcia
November 9th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Oh I'm such a newb, I fixed the problem. I didn't read the part where you have to unset the key. I actually did it by mistake. AWN Manager is working now, Thanks.

Mikegledholt
November 11th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I'm a newb to Linux but am learning fast. My AWN Manager will open up but only as a multipixelated window. I can't do anything with it. I think it might be connect to a compiz problem that I seem to have. Yesterday I opened compiz and I got the same multipixelated window only this was the whole screen and the only way to remove it was a complete new install - a bit drastic I know but that's all that worked.

Has anyone any ideas please.

Ubuntu 9.10

Thanks
Mike

Dunti21
November 29th, 2009, 06:16 PM
maybe you can uninstall then reinstall it to see if that helps

sudo apt-get remove awn-manager --purge
sudo apt-get install awn-manager

Hi, I tried to reinstall awn manager but still nothing happens when I click on it. Or when I click "dock preferences". If I go to awn manager through the application launcher it shows awn manager in my bar above that shows what's open, but after a while it just disappears

absurdus_delirium
December 6th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Had the same problem - got the same message about a mismatch between awn-manager expecting and integer and getting float.
I m just posting to clarify in case anybody else needs help figuring out how to change the key value type from "float" to "integer" because if you try to change the type in gconf-editor for value bar_angle you find that you cannot. You just have to create a new one - right-click, New Key..., bar_angle, type integer and it replaces the old one. Your problem should be solved!

Noobs unite! :popcorn:

drascus
December 7th, 2009, 02:02 AM
thanks for this post this problem was driving me nuts!! got it working now!

gkh73
December 7th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Brilliant guys! This fix worked for me as well! I'm surprised they haven't come out with a fix for this yet as an update package. Of course if you're not a noob like me you probably already know how to fix the problem! :)

absolut1983
January 12th, 2010, 07:44 PM
It has just worked for me.

Thanks a lot.

RazorV
February 4th, 2010, 04:11 PM
this is a great "how to" post. Thanks to all that replied.

I just changed the value in gconf-editor for the awn bar angle to 0 and then right clicked on it and selected UNSET key and it worked great!

cheers to all

Raer1192
March 31st, 2010, 01:52 AM
for the people who's awn-manager or "dock preferences didn't show up you could
do alt+f2 then type gconf-editor hit enter and then /apps/avan-window-navigator and then instead of bar go to window_manager then click show_all_windows right click edit key and where it says value change it from false to true and ur awn-manager "dock preferences" should show up..it worked for me :D