PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] After 9.10 upgrade - boot stops at (initramfs)_

mahaganapati
October 30th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Upgrading from 9.04 to 9.10 I find myself in a situation I can't handle: Rebooting the machine results in nothing but the text

(initramfs)_

I have done nothing but run the upgrade. I am not particularly linux-savvy, so please bear over with any questions I might have to your suggestions.

Ideas, suggestions (and - ideally a solution) will be much appreciated.

mahaganapati
October 31st, 2009, 12:30 AM
Well, I managed to figure out that I can boot with the 2.6.28-16-generic kernel, but now I have lost all network connections and all sound. Sigh. It seems that I have hit all of the most common faults in this update. Anyway:

iwconfig says:

lo no wireless extensions
eth0 no wireless extensions

Status: I can't boot with the 2.6.31-kernel, I have no sound and no wireless connections. Please help!

Thanks in advance.

mahaganapati
November 1st, 2009, 12:13 PM
Bump.
I have installed grub2 but no luck so far - I still cant boot 2.6.31. 2.6.28, however, works fine. I just don't get it - the settings in the grub menu are exactly the same for the two kernels (with the obvious difference of the kernel names, of course), but whenever i try the latest one i end up at the "initramfs"-prompt.

hrafninn
November 1st, 2009, 12:23 PM
It looks like you have the same problem that I had. I had no option but doing a clean install of 9.04 again; see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1307780

mahaganapati
November 1st, 2009, 12:36 PM
I really hope that won't be necessary. I can't help but think that this is a really small issue that can be solved by changing a few characters in the right config file somewhere. Of course this might not be the case, and either way I wouldn't know where to begin.
I would really like to hear some more alternatives to reinstalling before I choose that option. Is it possible to remove and reinstall the 2.6.31-kernel?