PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Karmic is fast

jhenager
October 30th, 2009, 10:22 PM
I have only played with this for about an hour, but I have to say, this is a very positive experience. Maybe it is because I am now running Firefox 3.5.3, but this thing is blazing.
Shutdown seems to be faster than 9.04 which I timed at 15 seconds flat. Startup is about the same just eyeballing it.
Great job team. :D

CRAY-4
October 30th, 2009, 10:24 PM
yeah its good, it is better when you do a clean ext4 install

note32
October 30th, 2009, 11:00 PM
finally some praise for 9.10:p

jhenager
October 30th, 2009, 11:17 PM
I have always been an early adopter and never got burned. What puzzles me is, all my systems are home built with the cheapest components, and cobbled together over time. I have the most Frankenstein systems you could imagine, and probably have the least problems.
It sure ain't due to livin' right!

Rumpty
October 31st, 2009, 01:52 AM
jhenager, if you think FF is fast,try the beta of Google Chrome browser. The peacekeeper score is almost double Firefox's, on my machine.

mrpeachy
October 31st, 2009, 01:57 AM
I have only played with this for about an hour, but I have to say, this is a very positive experience. Maybe it is because I am now running Firefox 3.5.3, but this thing is blazing.
Shutdown seems to be faster than 9.04 which I timed at 15 seconds flat. Startup is about the same just eyeballing it.
Great job team. :D

i was very impressed with 9.04 shutdown (having come from using xp), i think maybe 9.10 is just as fast, maybe faster. right now i think 9.04 was faster booting. i just installed startup manager and changed some stuff which has improved my time

FrostCake
October 31st, 2009, 02:41 AM
I tried linux for the very first time couple days ago using u9.04 dualboot winxp.

After that painful learning process, u9.04 was pretty bad using ff3.0 or shiretoko. Was really sluggish, and I wanted to remove U. But I itchy-handedly upgraded to u9.10 to take another look.

u9.10 is fast, so I'm going to try it for a couple of more months.

claymater
October 31st, 2009, 02:44 AM
I have loved this release!

I was like ready for it to take a dump on me, but I was VERY surprised on how well it worked without me having to do anything to it!!!!

Best yet!

praveenthivari
October 31st, 2009, 02:45 AM
It,s really fast. I did a clean install though.

htismaqe
October 31st, 2009, 02:48 AM
I haven't finished the install yet, but I instantly noticed it during the partition setup.

The "scanning" action during partition setup was 3 times faster than during a clean install of 9.04, both using ext4.

KinKiac
October 31st, 2009, 02:56 AM
Yeah Ive definitely noticed a speed increase. Ive been using 9.04 on my home desktop for like 6 months now and have been happy with its speed compared to XP on the same machine or even the Win7 RC. I havent yet upgraded to 9.10 on my desktop but I loaded onto my roomates 3 year old sony viao laptop and even the install was fast. I was up and running within 20 minutes and after that it was just a matter of getting some themes installed and ccsm and stuff. Im excited to see what it will do on my desktop with a dual core processor and 3gigs of DDR3.

jessiebrownjr
October 31st, 2009, 03:01 AM
I have always been an early adopter and never got burned. What puzzles me is, all my systems are home built with the cheapest components, and cobbled together over time. I have the most Frankenstein systems you could imagine, and probably have the least problems.
It sure ain't due to livin' right!

ha, one of the few times I built a total system from scratch I learned a very valuable lesson. Apparently almost every single bit of hardware I had, was imcompatible with something else in my system. My motherboard didn't like the ram manufacturer so it wouldn't work.. The processor wouldn't report its speed correctly, and the hard drive wouldn't detect without a bios upgrade.. sigh

Dude.. I gotted' a dell....

Ericwt
October 31st, 2009, 04:45 AM
Kermic installed with zero problems and it is fast. Clean install going to try upgrading my laptop soon.

htismaqe
October 31st, 2009, 06:16 AM
ha, one of the few times I built a total system from scratch I learned a very valuable lesson. Apparently almost every single bit of hardware I had, was imcompatible with something else in my system. My motherboard didn't like the ram manufacturer so it wouldn't work.. The processor wouldn't report its speed correctly, and the hard drive wouldn't detect without a bios upgrade.. sigh

Dude.. I gotted' a dell....

ROFL

I hope you didn't get a Dell laptop. The failure rates make XBox 360's look "stable". :)

I know what you mean though. I built an overclocking rig a couple of summers ago and for a year afterwards, I had problems with memory sticks seemingly going bad. I had 3 different 2x1GB sets of Super Talent, a set of Corsairs, OCZ - all of them did the same thing. After running fine for weeks, I'd start getting minor weirdness and eventually errors in memtest86.

On the MSI user forums (most of my components are MSI) they of course went down the first path that you have to go down under the circumstances - I had to remove all my overclocks because that was causing the problem. Of course, removing the overclocks alleviated the problem at first, but then it came back. And testing the memory in another PC wouldn't produce errors. So the memory itself couldn't be bad.

I spent weeks trying to figure it out, when one of the members on the forums realized he had the same issue. An MSI K9N motherboard (nForce 570 chipset) and an Athlon 5200+ CPU. He moved the 5200+ to another mobo and put a 4800+ in the K9N and the problem went away.

I replaced my 5200+ with a 6000+ and haven't had a single issue since. MSI still has no clue what causes it, but it only happens with the 5200+ and that motherboard.

WorLord
October 31st, 2009, 07:55 AM
Installed on a test box at work.

The Intel Video nightmare is finally over, ext4 is FAST. Haven't had many problems; its like Jaunty only speedier and with subtle-but-noticeable improvements to the theme (LOVE the new icons).

I tend to have tremendous success with this sort of stuff and I chalk it up to one thing: I avoid upgrading. Upgrading is simply a bad idea no matter how you slice it. Even when it works perfectly, and even when one upgrades when the mirrors aren't slammed, it still takes hours to download and upgrade all the necessary packages. And let's face it, most of the time, there are "upgrade artifacts" to deal with - maybe not deal breakers, but certainly things that need addressing.

It is far, far easier to either use a separate /home partition, or do a fresh install on the same drive/mount point configuration without reformatting. (This type of installation will wipe out only system-related directories, and leave your /home alone.) Either way, you end up with a new, quirk-free Ubuntu without losing any of your old files or settings - all in about 20 minutes. You still have to re-install all of the software packages you had before, but that's maybe another 20 minutes, tops - still far less than an upgrade, and when you launch those, they'll still be configured the way you had them before.

All told, 20-40 minutes, no quirks vs. 2~20 hours, and great potential for strangeness? I've been taking door #1 for the past 3 releases, and upgrade day really has been relatively painless every time. :-)

(This time around, on my home computer, I've backed up what I want from my home directory, and will reformat to ext4 to get the speed boost. So it'll take me a bit longer... maybe another 20 minutes to copy everything back. That's still ahead of the update game, if you ask me. :-))

htismaqe
October 31st, 2009, 01:10 PM
It's not just that ext4 is faster, because I used ext4 with Xubuntu 9.04 and Karmic is still faster.

And I absolutely agree on clean installs vs. upgrading. I've just started messing with Linux again in the past couple of months after a nearly 10-year hiatus.

I always kept Windows separate from my data, just in case. I've probably installed Windows XP for myself or family/friends over 500 times using two partitions - OS and data. I followed the same format when I started messing with Linux (a root partition and a home partition) and I've yet to have any real problems.