PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install apps from APTonCD in non-graphical install

bubbles99
October 30th, 2009, 09:38 PM
I want to install ubuntu without a GUI (command-line install) as my computer is low spec. At the command line after installation, i want to add a gui as welln as some other packages. The computer will not have internet access, so I looked into APTonCD. How do i restore packages from here withought a GUI? Even with internet access, I wouldn't be able to install from there with my knowledge. the best i could do would be using a command like this:

sudo aptitude install gdm xorg xterm icewm menu mozilla-firefox abiword synaptic

any help much appreciated

mac9416
October 30th, 2009, 11:08 PM
You can download the software with Keryx (http://keryxproject.org), then use 'sudo dpkg -i /path/to/debs/file.deb' to install each package. Or you could use AptOnCD to create a Cdrom repo from the debs downloaded with Keryx, then run 'sudo apt-cdrom add' on your non-GUI computer. Then you can 'sudo apt-get install' to your heart's content! (as long as the software is on the CD)

Good luck!

bubbles99
October 31st, 2009, 08:19 AM
thx

bubbles99
October 31st, 2009, 12:16 PM
is there a way to download ALL the software on the keryx/aptoncd CD in one command?

mac9416
October 31st, 2009, 04:08 PM
Yes. AptOnCD is very clever. It makes a meta-package (a package depending on all software on the CD) so you can install everything in one stroke. You'd insert the CD, do 'sudo apt-cdrom add', then 'sudo apt-get install aptoncd-metapackage'.