PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Switching between Ubuntu and XP

Shelton2142
October 30th, 2009, 09:26 PM
I'm planning on installing Ubuntu using Wubi and I wanted to know if this allows me to choose which OS will run on startup. I've seen Macs at my local college and they have both MAC OSX and XP installed, but the user can choose which one runs with a menu screen that opens after booting. Is this the same way that the partitions work for Ubuntu?

EDIT: Sorry about that. I went ahead and did more reading on the Wubi website and it did tell me that I can choose either one.

earthpigg
October 30th, 2009, 10:00 PM
WUBI is a great way to test drive.

if/when you decide to keep it permanently, ask us and we will show you how to migrate your settings and whatnot to a true dual boot system.

Shelton2142
November 1st, 2009, 06:13 PM
I fully intend to keep the system permanently. I already installed it shortly after making that post, and I'm running it right now. I'm simply getting aware of my surroundings at the moment. It's quite easy to figure out, actually. In fact, I plan on having Ubuntu installed on every computer I use in the future along with Windows systems, simply so I can keep comparing them. I just don't really know what to do with it. I downloaded and installed Ubuntu for the hell of it, to be perfectly blunt. I primarily use a computer for gaming, web browsing, and office programs. But learning how to migrate my settings and all would be nice, just so I can keep things consistent between XP and Ubuntu. Just so you know, I have never used command line before, and I'm not a programmer of any description. My current "big project" for Ubuntu is to install the Kubuntu desktop over Ubuntu so that I can test out the KDE environment, but I don't know if I want to eat up the memory it would require.

earthpigg
November 1st, 2009, 09:48 PM
it'll eat up hard drive space, but not ram.

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Shelton2142
November 1st, 2009, 10:51 PM
Thanks. I already knew about the command line code, since I had done some reading about it. Now to be specific, when I say "memory" I mean the hard disk memory. I would specifically say RAM when I meant that. I have 81 GB of hard disk space left, so I suppose that isn't really an issue. My only real problem is my connection. My line has 100 Mbps bandwidth, but my modem is old and only processes 800 Kbps. If I were the only person using this connection, that wouldn't be much of a problem. My brother has his computer on my home connection, so he takes up a chunk of the available space. Oddly, my connection never seems to get past 200 Kbps of download, even when my brother isn't online. That always confused me.

About that command line code. There's also the Synaptic Package Manager in the Administration menu, and it allows me to get the Kubuntu desktop and all the required packages. is it functionally any different from using a direct command line order?

cholericfun
November 1st, 2009, 11:05 PM
About that command line code. There's also the Synaptic Package Manager in the Administration menu, and it allows me to get the Kubuntu desktop and all the required packages. is it functionally any different from using a direct command line order?

same thing