PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Another 9.04 to 9.10 error

Denton Larson
October 30th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Hi everyone

I have a problem, I had 9.04 and it worked fine, and figured I could load 9.10 and go on, big mistake.:(

It took forever to download 9.10, the next morning it was ready to restart, then I got some flashing and SLOOW to type in my username and password.

I managed to get in a root prompt and this is what I have
Mount of Filesystem failed.
A maintenance shell will now be started.
CONTROL-D will terminate this shell and re-try
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue):

I entered the password after alot of guessing, and got this
root@dlarson-desktop:~#

I did a ls and got
Desktop

I am copying this to my laptop I have.
HELP PLEASE! I am new to Ubuntu I have only had it going for about a year.

Denton Larson
WB0ZUR

XDevHald
October 30th, 2009, 08:59 PM
From the looks of it the install did not complete and could be because of downloading failure for certain packages. I would recommend re-installing Ubuntu as the Mount drive is not recognized or found at all.

Sorry to see you're going through this as it doesn't happen often.

schroedl
October 30th, 2009, 09:10 PM
I went through this exact same problem and are stuck with it. I was able to log in, but it didn't do anything. Now my filesystem won't mount. What happened was my computer froze somewhere last night during the upgrade while I was sleeping. I think it froze while the computer was removing some packages. I'm worried about loosing the files. Is there a way to access the files now? I got the maintenance shell as well with the control-d thing, but it was after that when my filesystems stopped mounting all together.

Chow7
October 30th, 2009, 09:18 PM
This is exactly what happens to me when I try to upgrade to 9.10. I installed a fresh copy of 9.04 and upgraded to the 9.10 RC and same result as the upgrade to the final version of 9.10. after it reboots I just get a login screen and the screen is flashing. I too am a noob to linux.

XDevHald
October 30th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I went through this exact same problem and are stuck with it. I was able to log in, but it didn't do anything. Now my filesystem won't mount. What happened was my computer froze somewhere last night during the upgrade while I was sleeping. I think it froze while the computer was removing some packages. I'm worried about loosing the files. Is there a way to access the files now? I got the maintenance shell as well with the control-d thing, but it was after that when my filesystems stopped mounting all together.

Do the following.

When you're at the login screen choose your session as Xterm which has no GUI display and will pop up a terminal. Execute the command: sudo apt-get update then follow the prompts as it SHOULD give you the packages that were not installed.

Keep us posted.

wyliecoyoteuk
October 30th, 2009, 09:32 PM
If you are worried about your files, booting from a LiveCD may make it possible to recover them.
Not always a good idea to upgrade on the release date, for various reasons, but I admire your enthusiasm.

Chow7
October 31st, 2009, 05:05 PM
Apt-get update did not fix the problem for me.

verton
November 4th, 2009, 05:33 AM
I upgraded from Jaunty 9.04 to Karmic 9.10.
When I turn on the computer and came to the Unbuntu logo;
it started filesystem checks and ended at 40%.
then:
Mount of filesystem failed.62d477-bc93-4754-9441-2097889ce21f
A maintenance shell will now be started.
CONTROL-D will terminate this shell and re-try.
root@..............:~#
My question is what is the command?

Denton Larson
November 9th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Hi everyone

I got the new 9.10 to run, I had to do a re-format of the drive :(
But 9.10 was WAY slow. So I re-formated again and loaded 9.04 and it is happy. Now I need to put in all of the add-in's :)

Denton Larson
WB0ZUR

manilaph
November 9th, 2009, 06:18 PM
same exact problem:

usplash: setting mode 1152x864 failed
usplash: using mode 1024x768
Mount of filesystem failed
A maintenance shell will now be started
CONTROL-D will terminate this & retry
root@sgo-desktop:

but this is not from an upgrade. this was from a fresh install and it was working for a couple of days without problems.

is there a fix?