PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Major problem updating to 9.10

Vishesh
October 30th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Hi
I have both Ubuntu and Kubuntu installed. I predominately use KDE, but I keep switching. While upgrading to 9.10 via KDE, I got a ksudo error, during the installing part and then the update mananger just went blank. I left it alone for a couple of hours, but nothing happened. Firefox got uninstalled somehow.
When I tried to start the update-manager-kde again. It just wouldn't start. So I like an IDIOT thought that maybe I should restart the comp, and so I did.
Untill I got an errror while booting -
Booting 'Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.31-14-generic'
error: unknown command 'linux'

I should mention that I had already installed grub 2 a week back or so, and it working flawlessly. I get an unknown command 'initrd' error for the other kernels(2.6.28-*). I tried following the instructions given over here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2 (Unknow Command 'initrd' section), but it doesn't seem to help.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do? I don't have the LiveCD lieing around, but if needed I could download it. I suppose.

Sealbhach
October 30th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I would suggest trying to reinstall Grub2 with a Live CD using this procedure here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2#Recover%20Grub%202%20via%20LiveCD

There are a few more commands than before, but it's not too difficult to follow.

Vishesh
October 30th, 2009, 07:49 PM
I would suggest trying to reinstall Grub2 with a Live CD using this procedure here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2#Recover%20Grub%202%20via%20LiveCD

There are a few more commands than before, but it's not too difficult to follow.

Okay. I've put the Live CD for download (7 hours+ :-( ). But do you really think it's a grub2 problem? I had already installed grub2 a week back, so that I won't have any issues upgrading to 9.10. Oh well, lets see.
My main concern is that the entire upgrade didn't complete before the error came.

Sealbhach
October 30th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Okay. I've put the Live CD for download (7 hours+ :-( ). But do you really think it's a grub2 problem? I had already installed grub2 a week back, so that I won't have any issues upgrading to 9.10. Oh well, lets see.
My main concern is that the entire upgrade didn't complete before the error came.

From what I can see, you've installed a new kernel

Booting 'Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.31-14-generic

but the boot manager doesn't know how to handle it. So the first thing to try is to reinstall Grub2. If you can't get into your system, you're going to need a Live CD to fix it, whatever the problem is.

Vishesh
October 31st, 2009, 12:35 PM
I followed the instruction given on the link till the update-grub command. I get an error -

grep: proc/mounts/: No such file or directory
Cannot find list of partitions!
doneAny idea as to what I should do? Should I try the next command - grub-install /dev/sda ?

Vishesh
November 2nd, 2009, 02:53 PM
I finished following the instructions on the link provided, and then on trying to boot I get the following error -

One or more of the mounts listed in /etc/fstab cannot yet be mounted:
(ESC for recovery shell)
/: waiting for UUID=49baf3f9-e920-459d-956602901b286f045
/temp: waiting for (null)

The /etc/fstab file seems totally fine to me. Does anyone have any idea as to what I can do? It's been a number of days since I had my system working, and I really wish I hadn't tried to upgrade.
Is there no solution but a complete re-installation of the entire OS? I don't want to do this, as there were loads of softwares which I downloaded and compiled on my own, and re-doing the entire thing would be a major pain in the ***!

Vishesh
November 2nd, 2009, 05:06 PM
bump!
I've been looking for answers for quite sometime now. Now I'm on the process of backing up over 500gb of my data. I hope someone has a solution ..

Vishesh
November 2nd, 2009, 06:26 PM
Solved. A simple mount -o remount, rw / and sudo dpkg --configure -a in the recovery console!

I'm kinda glad no-one pointed me to the answer, now I'll always remember, and I landed up learning up a lot. Not to mention backing up my entire hard drive :-)

nemoskipper
November 4th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Cool Vishesh.

Thanks