PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 startup is slow and UGLY

gedumer
October 30th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Is it just me or is the "misty" startup screen the ugliest you've ever seen? Not to mention the fact that startup, in general, is much slower than 9.04.

Ardghal
October 30th, 2009, 06:14 PM
I agree with the slow part. Though I'm not sure if it may seem that way due to the lack of a progress bar. Feels slow, though...

BarisBlaq
October 30th, 2009, 06:25 PM
It is definitely slower. On my laptop with 9.04, I had 35 seconds from bios screen to login screen. Now with Karmic, it is around 45-50. Not to mention that it also takes about 5 seconds longer from login to working desktop now.

And 9.10 was about faster boots..
=(

rcopper
October 30th, 2009, 09:26 PM
it is slower.. besides that I also got some mix of the other desktop manager that was installed - xfce... I get an xfce theme at startup and also a xfce login screen, instead of my gnome gdm.. :(
have no idea how to fix this..

lupo
October 30th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Same here...

Boot screen looks quite ugly and it definitely takes longer until the login screen is ready as opposed to 9.04, that I felt to be the fastest Ubuntu version I've used so far.

Any ideas what might be wrong here?

alexeix
November 1st, 2009, 09:29 PM
I'm seeing the same problem - start-up is now a 2 stage process for me: the white Ubuntu logo first, followed by the misty brown screen (prior to the log-in screen).

It does seem to be taking roughly twice as long as the last version - over a minute for me now.

I upgraded, rather than doing a fresh install - how about other people?

eauque
November 2nd, 2009, 03:18 AM
Did an upgrade. The only slowdown I see so far is slower boot time. Am able to use Normal Visual Effects now. Prior to the upgrade, Firefox was REALLY choppy with Normal turned on and my 512MiB/1000Mhz machine was generally slow. Normal Effects is usable now.

Still, disappointed by the slower boot time. First couple boots presented me with a malformed Ubuntu screen. Seems OK now.

Give and take.....

JohnoDC
November 2nd, 2009, 04:27 PM
It takes ages to login, im useing an acer 5630 with a core 2 duo.
Login takes 1-2 mins to display, then the password bit takes another 10 secs minium.
Did an upgrade first and thought that was the problem.
so in the end did a fresh install but still have this problem.

Infoteksec
November 2nd, 2009, 07:32 PM
Startup is claimed to be faster but it isn't.

Why, oh why is the login screen so dire. White on black is soooo geeky. The sooner it is changed to something mainstream and easier on the eyes the better IMHO.

Peter

BTW - I'm referring to Ubuntu - heavens knows what the other incarnation look like.

johncudd
November 5th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Agreed, Ubuntu 9.10 has a much slower startup, and is now a two stage process. I have two computers with Ubuntu. I upgraded one and did a fresh install on the other. They are both very slow at starting up in comparison to 9.04. I even have solid state hard drives on one of them. Was a fast startup just hyped up a bit too much?

tsh
November 5th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Think yourself lucky that you get a complete boot. Startup for me after upgrading is at about 2 days, and counting.

Muhammad88
November 5th, 2009, 10:12 PM
I have the same problem like the one JohnoDC mentioned earlier..my laptop (acer tm4200 due core) boots normally...except once it gets to the GDM login screen..it takes about 2-3 minutes until the ability to login presents itself... and another 2-3 minutes to enter my password...reaaaally slooooow.....however, sometimes (only few) it boots normally and the gdm login screen takes normal time (less than 30 seconds) to load. any idea y??

TASADAR-F
November 25th, 2009, 04:07 AM
Muhammad88

I had the same problem in my acer aspire 5630. My problem is a webcam driver. You can use "dmesg" to find the problem

Liquidity_C
November 28th, 2009, 10:32 AM
My boot is not to bad on a hp dv6000 fresh install, but after login it takes a few seconds which I hate and then when the os is full loaded the CPU is almost overloaded until ubuntu one is done syncing despite it never syncing any files. This really bugs my, it's like windows where the os is not usable until 2 mins after it started.

Muhammad88
November 29th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Thank u TASADAR-F, i used dmesg to find the problem..it was the webcam driver...i solved it by blacklisting the driver and now it login normally and faster

Bartender
November 29th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I think TASADAR is on to something. I have a plain-Jane ASUS P5GDC-V (Pentium 4 board) running the onboard Intel graphics. 9.10 is much faster than 8.

For the people seeing slower boot times, I'll betcha there's at least one piece of hardware with which 9.10 is having trouble.

I have another PC, an older one, that seems to take as long or longer than 8. The gray Ubuntu screen shifts to the right partway thru startup, then snaps back to the middle. I'm quite sure this is a problem with the old AGP Nvidia graphics card. Since I'm on dial-up at home I haven't tried any Nvidia drivers.

Sometimes I think we tend to obsess over unimportant things. If you don't like the gray screen, go get a cup of coffee or something!

bcrowell
January 16th, 2010, 03:19 AM
This may be helpful to people who are not running Gnome as their desktop:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1382348

It speeds up my login time from 15 seconds to less than 1 second. (I use Fluxbox.)