PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Printing not working in Karmic

raidensix
October 30th, 2009, 06:04 PM
I did a clean install of Karmic Koala. The main problem is I can no longer print to my Canon 4370dn. This worked in Jaunty but not in Karmic. I am able to install the printer and the print queue shows the job was completed but nothing comes out of the printer. Can anyone help?

wacky.banana
November 1st, 2009, 05:23 PM
Having the same problem with an Epson printer. It would appear that everytime one goes to print Ubuntu disables the Enabled tab in printer policies.

Trying to work out why and how to fix it.

Another irritant in 9.10 that was not in 9.04

WB

Further update:

I manually installed cupsys-driver-gutenprint, deinstalled Firestarter and.........was then able to auto select my network Epson printer, install the relevant driver and print.

I tried creating a rule that would allow the printer to work while Firestarter was in place but did not get anywhere; therefore de-installing was the best option for now

Will look at this some other time but for now I just want to get up and running without having to constantly be dealing with irritating little problems.

Hope this helps someone.

WB

kafkaian
December 15th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Thanks Wacky. Had an important document to print off this morning and NOTHING. So it's back to the Windows laptop for document converting and then printing ...... AGAIN.

I don't think I've ever had one Ubuntu installation that can print properly (and I've had various incarnations since Dapper). And as for running cleaning ops and ancillary functions on my Canon Pixma 4300 ....FORGET it!!!!!!

I'm seriously considering getting out of Ubuntu and trying something else like Suse.

And I've gone two versions back to painfully sloooooow and blocky Firefox browsing.

kafkaian
December 15th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Tried your solution Wacky and nada.

No test page, nothing. Just an error on printing. I'll look into Canon specific drivers but I think I've had enough. Ubuntu just doesn't do printing very well. If it's not rendering colours like muddy waters, it's not sorting out effective page and property management and printer specific options.

Time to get a reliable OS again I think