PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Thinkpad R40 Mouse Buttons & UltraNav

oberwil
October 30th, 2009, 05:56 PM
I'm trying to get this Thinkpad R40 going for a friend. I had Fedora 8 running on it, and it worked pretty good, but was having problems getting the wireless to work. I think the problem with that was that our Network uses WPA, and I don't think it wireless tools supported WPA well.

So anyhow, I installed Ubuntu 9.04 I think it is(Jaunty Jacalope). The problem is the Mouse Buttons don't work properly. The Left button does not exist. The Right Button works, but that is the context button so if I mouse over Applications and click the Rigth Button I get a Help Menu. The Thinkpad also has a third mouse button in the middle, and 2 more buttons below that are called UltaNav buttons. I don't have a clew how these work. The little Red Trackpoint on the Keyboard even works.

So what I need to know is how to Sudo on the Teminal into GEdit and fix my Xorg.conf file I believe is what's needed.

Thanks

Howard

phillw
October 31st, 2009, 12:14 AM
I'm trying to get this Thinkpad R40 going for a friend. I had Fedora 8 running on it, and it worked pretty good, but was having problems getting the wireless to work. I think the problem with that was that our Network uses WPA, and I don't think it wireless tools supported WPA well.

So anyhow, I installed Ubuntu 9.04 I think it is(Jaunty Jacalope). The problem is the Mouse Buttons don't work properly. The Left button does not exist. The Right Button works, but that is the context button so if I mouse over Applications and click the Rigth Button I get a Help Menu. The Thinkpad also has a third mouse button in the middle, and 2 more buttons below that are called UltaNav buttons. I don't have a clew how these work. The little Red Trackpoint on the Keyboard even works.

So what I need to know is how to Sudo on the Teminal into GEdit and fix my Xorg.conf file I believe is what's needed.

Thanks

Howard

Hi,
well, said laptop is fully supported in 8.xx - with the proviso at the bottom ...

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/ThinkpadR40-2681

I'm not sure if things altered after that... 8.xx is a pretty good version, still used a lot - so, if it aint broken on that release .... I'd be sorely tempted to start there...

Hope that is of help,

Phill.