PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Warning if you have Pigin on your panel before upgrading

gambothell
October 30th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I upgraded to 9.10 from 9.04. When the update was complete, and I restarted, 9.10 froze after logging in. The menus showed in the panel, but none of my other apps in the panel were displayed. The menus would not work. When I pressed the power off button, I got the message "Panel not responding".

The problem turned out to be the Pigin App I had placed on the panel in 9.04. I followed the instructions on the thread: "9.10 gnome panel not loading" by rggavubt to delete my panel and recreate a new panel.

I should have remembered that in 9.10 Pigin is replaced by Empathy IM Client. I highly recommend that you too remove the Pigin App in the panel before upgrading to 9.10:)

phillw
October 30th, 2009, 11:46 PM
I upgraded to 9.10 from 9.04. When the update was complete, and I restarted, 9.10 froze after logging in. The menus showed in the panel, but none of my other apps in the panel were displayed. The menus would not work. When I pressed the power off button, I got the message "Panel not responding".

The problem turned out to be the Pigin App I had placed on the panel in 9.04. I followed the instructions on the thread: "9.10 gnome panel not loading" by rggavubt to delete my panel and recreate a new panel.

I should have remembered that in 9.10 Pigin is replaced by Empathy IM Client. I highly recommend that you too remove the Pigin App in the panel before upgrading to 9.10:)

hmmm.. mine behaved perfectly ... I backed everything up, took my account logins and passwords copies from pidjin - it all just transferred over okay. Only did it y/day, so still using pidjin, although empathy works, it was bitching at importing my myriad of accounts - so, this little piglet is staying on pidjin.

Phill