PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] "Don't ask for password.." disabled 9.10

kimbroBranch
October 30th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Just upgraded to 9.10.

In Users Settings
"Don't ask for password on login" is grayed out (disabled) for both root and user.

Am I supposed to change my password to get this to work? If so, do I manually change root password to the same?

kimbroBranch
October 30th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Changed user password and option still disabled.

izzaboo
October 31st, 2009, 05:31 AM
I did a fresh install of 9.10 on my mini 9. I, too, have "Don't ask for password on login" greyed out.

It is also interesting to look at the User Privileges tab. Although I am currently connected to a wireless network (and was previously connected to an ethernet network), that privilege is *not* checked.

So what's up with Users Settings? Is it normal, for instance, that root has no privileges assigned?

Update: It looks like the place to "bypass" the login screen on login is in System->Administration->Login Screen

tonyyarusso
November 2nd, 2009, 03:15 AM
The Login Screen settings only allow you to set it to autologin for a particular account; they don't allow creation of accounts that don't need a password to login.

branstrom
November 21st, 2009, 05:12 AM
It can be enabled manually by inserting:

# Selected users can login locally without a password
auth sufficient pam_listfile.so item=user sense=allow file=/usr/local/etc/nopassusers onerr=fail

before the @include common-auth in /etc/pam.d/gdm and then creating /usr/local/etc/nopassusers along the lines of

user1
user2
anotheruser

Would like to see that checkbox enabled. Why is it there, if it's not enablable? :(

lavinog
November 21st, 2009, 05:34 AM
Would like to see that checkbox enabled. Why is it there, if it's not enablable? :(

GDM has been through a lot of changes. It might be a future setting for setting up restricted users. Obviously it would be a bad move to have this setting available without addressing all of the security issues first.

clhp
December 1st, 2009, 03:58 PM
This was an option on 9.04 installation and it makes sense for some users, myself among them. I thought it over before accepting it and was very pleased with the option.

I think it should be made available again.

dasbooter
December 7th, 2009, 02:32 AM
Good deed for the day....

Your probably looking for System->Administration->login screen automatically login as "your user here"

Have a nice day... and god help pulse audio, cd/dvd burning and ipod support for my beloved distro ;)

tigon5
December 16th, 2009, 01:38 PM
It can be enabled manually by inserting:

# Selected users can login locally without a password
auth sufficient pam_listfile.so item=user sense=allow file=/usr/local/etc/nopassusers onerr=fail

before the @include common-auth in /etc/pam.d/gdm and then creating /usr/local/etc/nopassusers along the lines of

user1
user2
anotheruser

That's the one! Thanks!!!!!
Finally my wife can stop complaining about having to enter her password when in our living room! AND she gets her own desktop to pollute!

admin->login is for auto logging in after 30sec, not autologging on clicking which user - which btw seems to open the same security hole as this option would - so I don't understand why it's greyed out. No matter this solution works for me.