PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 Intallation Hell

jbarnes1960
October 30th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Have two systems on Ubuntu, a laptop and desktop. Laptop upgraded via udate manager flawlessly. Tried the same in desktop and it told me i needed more room on my partition. Could not figure out a way to do that in gparted or any other partition sofware because it didnt recognize the partition. Decided to reinstall from a live 9.10 CD and start fresh. Boots up, asks me what language, screen goes black, and plain orange screen comes up with no menus and just sits there. Said screw that after several attempts and decided to go back to 9.04 and uninstalled 9.10 and reinstalled 9.04. Guess what? It does the same thing, stops at the orange screen. What's up with this!!!!? I want my Linux back nut cant install it now. Windows sucks!

PS. BTW, I can't run the live CD either. Does the same thing....

Sealbhach
October 30th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Maybe try the alternate installer. It's strange though, that you already had 9.04 on that machine but now you can't re-install. Sounds like a video problem though, so try the alternate installer.

jbarnes1960
October 30th, 2009, 06:05 PM
What alernate installer?

Sealbhach
October 30th, 2009, 06:08 PM
What alernate installer?

it's a low graphics version of the standard installer:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate

it's just as easy to use.

BrankoP
October 30th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Hi all,

I have problem which is related with 9.10...

On my PC, Toshiba notebook, on which i have only Ubuntu 9.04 as only OS.

When 9.10 RC came out, i downloaded it and wanted to try how it feels by mounting in on live CD, but, unfortunately, after inserting CD (in preparation to restart system), Ubuntu offered me something like update or something, again, unfortunately, i clicked OK, thinking that nothing wrong can happen because it was not about updating whole system or anything, bu some minor updates, i don't know now precisely, and i was planing to update to 9.10 anyway...

Anyway, 9.04 has installed some updates from 9.10 RC CD (i believe that there was mention about APT during "update") and after i reboot my PC, tryed new 9.10 RC and returned to main system 9.04, i tried to install some software in Add/Remove Applications (VirutalBox to be precise) but i couldn't compete the task, there was message popping out all the time. I put screen shot of that window below:

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/9905/60274215.th.png (http://img101.imageshack.us/i/60274215.png/)

Of course, i inserted 9.10 RC disk right away and clicked OK, but message just pops out again and again!

I hoped that original full version of 9.10 update from Update Manager will sort things out, but it haven't.... :(
Update started and then again same massage poped out...

I looked also in "media" folder and i have noticed that there is folder named "cdrom" but it was empty! But there is folder there for actual CD and it's name is Ubuntu 9.10 i386!

Is there any way to mount CD on requested location or something else that could sort out this mess?

Please help... :(

Thanks in advance...

jbarnes1960
October 30th, 2009, 06:25 PM
it's a low graphics version of the standard installer:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate

it's just as easy to use.

This problem also occurs with my 9.04 live disk and 9.10 disk. It will not install any form of the software. I have used 9.04 with no issues since April and now wonder why I cant reinstall anything. Always stops on the orange screen... :( I want my Linux back!

Sealbhach
October 30th, 2009, 06:40 PM
This problem also occurs with my 9.04 live disk and 9.10 disk. It will not install any form of the software. I have used 9.04 with no issues since April and now wonder why I cant reinstall anything. Always stops on the orange screen... :( I want my Linux back!

Did you try the text-based alternate installer?

jbarnes1960
October 30th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Fixed it. After reboot I loaded it up in Safe Graphics mode. That did the trick after couple hiccups.

Sealbhach
October 30th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Fixed it. After reboot I loaded it up in Safe Graphics mode. That did the trick after couple hiccups.

That's grreat!!! :D

jbarnes1960
October 30th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks for trying to help! Downloading via update manager 9.10 instead of the disk this time to see if that works. So far, so good. About halfway there....