PDA

View Full Version : Suspend scripts and power management

entropic_existence
October 30th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Hi everyone,

On the dell mini 9 suspend will work in 9.10 only if you first unmount any mounted sd cards. Its a little bit of a pain but at least you should be able to fix it by obviously unmounting your card before suspending.

I have been going through forum posts around the web all morning and I am finding it increasingly confusing as to what exactly happens in 9.10 when you suspend. Lots of power-management stuff has been moved around, there are several scripts that look like they should be involved in suspending scattered around (/etc/acpi/sleep.sh /usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux/hal-system-power-suspend-linux, etc). What I am looking to do is add a simple umount /path/to/SD_Card command in the relevant script so that it is unmounted before I initiate a suspend action, that way I don't need to remember to manually unmount the drive everytime.

Where should I do this? Anyone know the sequence of calls that happen when you initiate a suspend now under 9.10?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

entropic_existence
November 1st, 2009, 08:22 PM
No ideas? No one has any idea what exact scripts are called now with the new power management scheme when you initiate a suspend? I'm having trouble even finding the right documentation of where to look.

Mjoln
November 29th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Hi,

In /etc/pm/sleep.d/ you can find your suspend/sleep/hibernate scripts. Just put this in there:

case "$1" in
hibernate|suspend)
umount /path/to/SD_Card
;;
resume|thaw)
mount /path/to/SD_Card /mount/point/
;;
*) exit 0
;;
esacNow your SD card is unmounted every time you suspend or hibernate your computer and mounted back when you resume.

entropic_existence
November 29th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Hi,

In /etc/pm/sleep.d/ you can find your suspend/sleep/hibernate scripts. Just put this in there:

case "$1" in
hibernate|suspend)
umount /path/to/SD_Card
;;
resume|thaw)
mount /path/to/SD_Card /mount/point/
;;
*) exit 0
;;
esacNow your SD card is unmounted every time you suspend or hibernate your computer and mounted back when you resume.

Thanks for your reply. The only issue is that the main suspend/hibernate scripts are not located in /etc/pm/sleep.d/ anymore, although there are accessory scripts located there. In my case one for wpa_supplicant, one for telling grub that resume was successful and one for handling unattended upgrades prior to hibernating.

I have placed a script in there for handling the SD card prior to suspend or hibernate but cannot locate the main suspend script that would call this one.

uomiarz
November 30th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Hi,

Did you get it to work? I need to stop mythtv-backend before going to sleep and then restart it on resume otherwise karmic will not suspend.

thx

entropic_existence
November 30th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Hi,

Did you get it to work? I need to stop mythtv-backend before going to sleep and then restart it on resume otherwise karmic will not suspend.

thx

I haven't really tweaked with it anymore to be honest since I'm not sure where the main scripts are located. Its also been relatively easy enough to unmount my SD card myself before I put the netbook into suspend.

ZOMGxuan
December 1st, 2009, 05:09 PM
https://wiki.edubuntu.org/AcpiSupportDeprecation appears to say that resume and suspend scripts, which were originally stored in /etc/acpi/{suspend,resume}.d, are now stored in /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/. Try placing the script there instead.

Mjoln
December 11th, 2009, 09:54 PM
I tried putting my own script (to unmount an external usb hdd) to both /etc/pm/sleep.d/ and /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/ and it worked fine in both cases. Why exactly are there two paths for suspend/hibernate scripts?

erlguta
February 7th, 2010, 06:47 PM
How Mjoln says, it can be solved putting one script in /etc/pm/sleep.d/ or /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/

The problem is with the line:

/path/to/SD_Card

as I don't know how the SD_card name is going to be...because each card has a different name. How can I to do a generic script whatever the name is, for the card to insert?

PD:
This is the bug related with this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/436729

If it is so easy to solve this i don't know why it is stil unasigned...