PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Firefox 3.5.3 issues after upgrade to Karmic

bgc
October 30th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Hi,

Apologies if this is not the right place to post. I upgraded to Karmic yesterday, and since then Firefox (which was also upgraded to 3.5.3) has stopped behaving properly. The scrolling is jagged, links work strangely (for instance for <next> (e.g. picture) it might jump one or two (as if it automatically clicked very quickly)), the fonts are different and worse. Also, when I use Ubiquity, some strange things are printed in whatever terminal was first opened. The dropdown url bar doesn't work anymore, either. I have tried deleting history and cache, renaming files in the profiles, disabling some addons, to no avail.

These are the addons I currently have installed:
Adblock Plus
BetterPrivacy
Download statusbar
Downthemall
Flashgot
Ubiquity
Vimperator

None of these will update ("An error occurred while trying to update ...").

As mentioned, this is on Ubuntu recently upgraded to 9.10. I am (and have been) using Xmonad as window manager, replacing metacity. This is also not the source of the issues, it appears.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

sports fan Matt
October 30th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Have you tried updating Firefox to 3.5.4? this script is a very easy way to. I am thinking 3.5.3 may have a bug that might be causing this, hence my suggestion.
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ubuntuzilla/index.php?title=Main_Page#Installation

bgc
October 30th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the reply! I guess I could, although it wouldn't be ideal. I spent a long time using FF3 just to use the standard repository version. In any case, if this is a bug with FF3.5.3 is no-one else noticing these problems? I have seen some related threads around, but so far I'm almost wishing I had stayed with FF3!

bgc
November 1st, 2009, 02:35 PM
Having upgraded to 3.5.4, the issue appears to remain! Is it a widespread problem or something specific to my setup? Thanks!

bgc
November 2nd, 2009, 02:25 PM
Hi, just an additional point: sound seems to have stopped working altogether (for instance Youtube, but also elsewhere). Wondering whether a clean install is the solution! Thanks