PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Difficulty creating boot disc

richo9
October 30th, 2009, 03:37 PM
I'm working on a powerbook g4 running 10.5. Have downloaded the ubuntu desktop ISO.
Have run md5 and got the correct hash (8790491bfa9d00f283ed9dd2d77b3906).
Have gone into disc utility and burnt the ISO file onto a cd. BUT the cd isn't being treated as bootable.
Have burnt several discs, and tried them in 2 different machines (both powerbook g4s), and CAN'T figure out why they are not being read as boot discs. Computer sees them, just not as bootable.
Holding down OPT during boot sequence, holding down C during boot sequence... Nothing. How do I make the disc with the ISO on it bootable?

CharlesA
October 30th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Make sure that the machines are set to boot from CD. The images are already bootable, you don't need to do anything except burn them to a cd.

bashphoenux
October 30th, 2009, 03:44 PM
yeah see if the bios is set to boot from CD !! :)

az
October 30th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Have gone into disc utility and burnt the ISO file onto a cd. BUT the cd isn't being treated as bootable.

Boot up your machine as usual. Put in one of the CDs you burned and browse it? What do you see?

richo9
October 30th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Thanks CharlesA, but I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Do you know how to set the machines so they can boot from a cd? Isn't using C or OPT during startup using the firmware to choose the drive from which to boot?

richo9
October 30th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Boot up your machine as usual. Put in one of the CDs you burned and browse it? What do you see?

Hi az

7 folders

casper, dists, install, isolinux, pics, pool, preseed

and

autorun.inf, md5sum.txt, README.diskdefines, wubi.exe, ubuntu

CharlesA
October 30th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Thanks CharlesA, but I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Do you know how to set the machines so they can boot from a cd? Isn't using C or OPT during startup using the firmware to choose the drive from which to boot?

That should be the correct way, or at least it is according to the site here. (http://www.jacsoft.co.nz/Tech_Notes/Mac_Keys.htm) I haven't used a mac in a long time, so I am not sure.

richo9
October 30th, 2009, 04:35 PM
That should be the correct way, or at least it is according to the site here. (http://www.jacsoft.co.nz/Tech_Notes/Mac_Keys.htm) I haven't used a mac in a long time, so I am not sure.

Thanks mate.

Yeah I'm positive I'm following the correct procedures to boot from a cd, BUT I'm even more positive that I've missed something annoyingly basic or simple in the creation of the actual disc...

I've just tried to change the startup disc in 'system preferences', and the ubuntu iso burnt disc isn't being recognised there either.

Weird.

But thanks for your time CharlesA.

richo9
October 30th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Solved. I've been trying to boot an intel-mac image.
I need a powerpc install.
Thanks.