PDA

View Full Version : honestly, dont u think Empathy is lame ?

medya
October 30th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I really liked pidgin, I could have encrypted chat, I could have installed tons of plugins, and it had nice smilie set ,

what was wrong with Pidgin ? couldnt they just add voice support to pidgin ?

I dislike empathy so much . how about you?

coldReactive
October 30th, 2009, 03:23 PM
I think empathy is lame too, but I use KDE now, with Kopete. I honestly have to say that Pidgin is being stubborn, they could have added voice long ago, but didn't, as well as video.

I don't use voice/video though in the first place.

JillSwift
October 30th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Naw, it seems perfectly capable of getting around - without a limp - on both feet.

NightwishFan
October 30th, 2009, 03:25 PM
It is a good start I think. I also like Pidgin simply because it supports more features on each type of client such as file transfers. I will use Empathy for now regardless, and just use more reliable ways to transfer data.

hoppipolla
October 30th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Empathy is worse than Pidgin for now but it also has more potential for the future. There is no shame in siding with Pidgin for the time being ^_^ lol

I do think Kopete is the best one personally, but it just crashes too much on my pc ._.

SuperSonic4
October 30th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Nah, I actually have a use for lame :p

BrokenKingpin
October 30th, 2009, 03:28 PM
I much prefer Pidgin... not too happy about the switch.

JillSwift
October 30th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Nah, I actually have a use for lame :p
Heh. Wish I'd thought of tat one. :D

3rdalbum
October 30th, 2009, 03:33 PM
The development of Empathy helps the development of Telepathy; and Telepathy could potentially be much more important than Pidgin.

RiceMonster
October 30th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Do I think Empathy is Lame Ain't an MP3 Encoder?

/bad joke

medya
October 30th, 2009, 03:37 PM
The development of Empathy helps the development of Telepathy; and Telepathy could potentially be much more important than Pidgin.

in their website they say they would never support client-side encryption in the future (because they dont beleive in it)

thats why I dont even like to wait for the future of Empathy.

coldReactive
October 30th, 2009, 03:38 PM
in their website they say they would never support client-side encryption in the future (because they dont beleive in it)

thats why I dont even like to wait for the future of Empathy.

And pidgin won't develop encryption for passwords/etc. on their own, they want other people to do it for them.

Dougie187
October 30th, 2009, 03:39 PM
You guys know that pidgin has voice/video support on xmpp right?

Of course, not on windows.

coldReactive
October 30th, 2009, 03:41 PM
You guys know that pidgin has voice/video support on xmpp right?

Of course, not on windows.

I couldn't use it in linux, it was always greyed out, even on XMPP (IE: Google)

medya
October 30th, 2009, 03:42 PM
And pidgin won't develop encryption for passwords/etc. on their own, they want other people to do it for them.

at least they let ppl to do it for them .
and no need for pidgin to do that, with great appls like OTR (off the record) you dont need another plugin .

Dougie187
October 30th, 2009, 03:46 PM

Are you using the newest version? It's not supported in the repo version of pidgin on jaunty, but I believe it is in the repo version on karmic.

medya
October 30th, 2009, 03:47 PM

and Empathy doesnt support anything for Yahoo , and I never use MSN chat (honestly who uses msn chat ? so I wouldnt ever use audio for msn chat) so compared to pidgin , empathy is totaly lame

coldReactive
October 30th, 2009, 03:48 PM
and Empathy doesnt support anything for Yahoo , and I never use MSN chat (honestly who uses msn chat ? so I wouldnt ever use audio for msn chat) so compared to pidgin , empathy is totaly lame

I use MSN Chat all the time. o_O In fact, I've stopped using Yahoo and AIM because of too few contacts.

Are you using the newest version? It's not supported in the repo version of pidgin on jaunty, but I believe it is in the repo version on karmic.

I always use the PPA on pidgin.im

darkksyde
October 30th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I think they have switched to empathy since pidgin development hasn't continued lately

SuperSonic4
October 30th, 2009, 03:53 PM

Pretty much everybody I know and I would believe this trend is extrapolated across the UK.

I only use msn so I picked KMess

Dougie187
October 30th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I use MSN Chat all the time. o_O In fact, I've stopped using Yahoo and AIM because of too few contacts.

I always use the PPA on pidgin.im

Hmm. Well, I would think it would be in that. I think it should be there as long as you have 2.6 or better (preferably 2.6.1 I think). I haven't tried it, but there were some success stories that I read where people had gotten it to work. I'll see if I can find any.

I think they have switched to empathy since pidgin development hasn't continued lately

You must be joking. Pidgin is actively being developed. If you want a reason, it's far more likely to be telepathy than the development of pidgin.

coldReactive
October 30th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Hmm. Well, I would think it would be in that. I think it should be there as long as you have 2.6 or better (preferably 2.6.1 I think). I haven't tried it, but there were some success stories that I read where people had gotten it to work. I'll see if I can find any.

It doesn't matter anyway, I don't use it anymore.

Eisenwinter
October 30th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I do think Kopete is the best one personally, but it just crashes too much on my pc ._.
Why would anyone think that a piece of software which crashes a lot is the best software?

coldReactive
October 30th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Why would anyone think that a piece of software which crashes a lot is the best software?

Hasn't crashed for me yet. :D

TheNessus
October 30th, 2009, 03:58 PM
At first I hated it. Now I love it.

one thing bugs me - can't make it go to the systray by clicking the empathy systray icon. Worked with pidgin, does not work here.

coldReactive
October 30th, 2009, 03:59 PM
At first I hated it. Now I love it.

one thing bugs me - can't make it go to the systray by clicking the empathy systray icon. Worked with pidgin, does not work here.

You mean the envelope icon? That's not the empathy systray (it's not the pidgin systray either.)

Eisenwinter
October 30th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Didn't say that. I was referring to hoppipola, who said Kopete is the best, "except" it crashes a lot.

TheNessus
October 30th, 2009, 04:01 PM
You mean the envelope icon? That's not the empathy systray (it's not the pidgin systray either.)
No, I mean the systray. I removed that annoying envlope icon, I never use launchers on my panel. here's my panel:

green icon is Empathy.

ElSlunko
October 30th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I like the adium themes for empathy, that's a +. The lack of FB chat blows, but other than that it's fine for me.

hoppipolla
October 30th, 2009, 04:09 PM

yeah I think it's just on my PC for some reason.

It's a SWEET messenger though, it just needs some bugs ironed out or maybe I just need to change something on here, I'm not entirely sure but for now I'm on Pidgin :)

coldReactive
October 30th, 2009, 04:10 PM
yeah I think it's just on my PC for some reason.

It's a SWEET messenger though, it just needs some bugs ironed out or maybe I just need to change something on here, I'm not entirely sure but for now I'm on Pidgin :)

I actually wish that the identity system on Kopete was gone. I don't even use it :|

hoppipolla
October 30th, 2009, 04:29 PM
I actually wish that the identity system on Kopete was gone. I don't even use it :|

It's alright, to be honest I think it might be something that gets integrated with more of KDE later, as they are trying to unite everything in this "Social Desktop" move. It might be really cool.

I just find Kopete to be great looking and intuitive to use. It is also fully featured and themable :)

I was amazed that I preferred it's interface even to Disgby on Windows!

Dragonbite
October 30th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I don't mind Empathy, it seems a little cleaner for me. The interface is nice, clean and simple which works for me.

I don't think either one of them supports video chat over MSN or Yahoo!, am I right?

Kopete isn't too bad, but it doesn't like my webcam. It also feels cluttered and busy, like Pidgin.

pwnst*r
October 30th, 2009, 06:35 PM
pidgin is cluttered and busy?

Exodist
October 30th, 2009, 06:40 PM
I like Pidgin better. I dont really like empathy at the momment, it feels more like a regression then a better IM apt.
I really think Ubuntu needs to stick to fixed software and not jump around to different brands. This makes upgrading a pain for new users to see a program they just got used to using being replaced with something new to them.

hoppipolla
October 30th, 2009, 06:46 PM

yeah I don't really feel that either, Kopete feels busier than Pidgin to me, but none really feel CLUTTERED as such or bloated, they've just got a lot of features.

I like Pidgin better. I dont really like empathy at the momment, it feels more like a regression then a better IM apt.
I really think Ubuntu needs to stick to fixed software and not jump around to different brands. This makes upgrading a pain for new users to see a program they just got used to using being replaced with something new to them.

yeah but if they upgraded they'll still have Pidgin anyway won't they?

Excedio
October 30th, 2009, 06:48 PM

No. :-D

pwnst*r
October 30th, 2009, 07:00 PM
What this meant to be a question? If it is...

No. :-D

yes it's a question. if you would have read the previous posts, you can see that it was a statement from someone.

andrek
October 30th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Empathy is a no-go for me since it's unable to receive my buddies list from gadu-gadu (major polish IM protocol) server. Pidgin does that and much more nicely.

Exodist
October 30th, 2009, 07:04 PM
yeah but if they upgraded they'll still have Pidgin anyway won't they?

Well upgrade doesnt always mean installing new software on top of existing software. Upgrading is the act of just installing newer software onto a system or device, how you do it (fresh install or overlaying) is irrelevant. :-)
But fresh install they wouldnt have pidgin, its in the repositories but its lame to jumble them around for no reason what so ever. Even more lame to put on in its place that is still to new.

hoppipolla
October 30th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Well upgrade doesnt always mean installing new software on top of existing software. Upgrading is the act of just installing newer software onto a system or device, how you do it (fresh install or overlaying) is irrelevant. :-)
But fresh install they wouldnt have pidgin, its in the repositories but its lame to jumble them around for no reason what so ever. Even more lame to put on in its place that is still to new.

It's the way it goes I'm afraid man, particularly while Ubuntu is still relatively young. We can't sit on projects that aren't going to further the OS. And Pidgin WAS the best choice back then, but it isn't the best choice now (well, it might still need a bit of work but it's getting there!)

Another imminent one is Rhythmbox for Banshee. But they are logical changes that will improve the OS :)

days_of_ruin
October 30th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Empathy as a replacement for Pidgin makes a whole lot more sense than Banshee as a replacement for Rhythmbox. Seriously, when are the Banshee developers going to fix Last.fm support? Which was never broken on RB btw.

SomeGuyDude
October 30th, 2009, 07:15 PM
The problem with Empathy is a fewfold...

1) GNOME-dependent. It's like Kopete with KDE. I'd like to try it, but unless I want all the packages from the DE I'm pretty SOL.

2) No tray notification or ANYTHING when I get an IM? That's juse inexcusable. I minimize windows.

3) Holy crap message windows are huge. I get that we all love the cute Adium themes, but there needs to be something compact and simple a la Pidgin. I'm not particularly enamoured with only being able to see five messages on the window at a time.

days_of_ruin
October 30th, 2009, 07:18 PM

1) GNOME-dependent. It's like Kopete with KDE. I'd like to try it, but unless I want all the packages from the DE I'm pretty SOL.

2) No tray notification or ANYTHING when I get an IM? That's juse inexcusable. I minimize windows.

3) Holy crap message windows are huge. I get that we all love the cute Adium themes, but there needs to be something compact and simple a la Pidgin. I'm not particularly enamoured with only being able to see five messages on the window at a time.

Have you actually used Empathy? The default theme is just like pidgins. Plain, colored text.

SomeGuyDude
October 30th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Have you actually used Empathy? The default theme is just like pidgins. Plain, colored text.

I actually forget what the original theme looked like because after I installed it I spent a little while digging through the hundred or so Adium themes it's compatible with looking for one that wasn't atrocious.

Doesn't nullify the other problems.

Icehuck
October 30th, 2009, 07:21 PM
It's the way it goes I'm afraid man, particularly while Ubuntu is still relatively young. We can't sit on projects that aren't going to further the OS. And Pidgin WAS the best choice back then, but it isn't the best choice now (well, it might still need a bit of work but it's getting there!)

It's an instant messenger and if it's furthering your OS, your OS has problems.

virusiidx
October 30th, 2009, 07:26 PM
I also tried out Empathy, but just wasn't digging it. I still prefer the plugins and facebook add-on on Pidgin. I'll still keep an eye on updates for Empathy of course to see when there's enough functionality/features for me to try again.

sudoer541
October 30th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Honestly, I and other million ppl use MSN.

Excedio
October 30th, 2009, 07:42 PM
yes it's a question. if you would have read the previous posts, you can see that it was a statement from someone.

Oops..missed that statement by the OP. Edited, but left my answer of "No."

:-D

The Toxic Mite
October 30th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Empathy is as good as Pidgin, IMHO...

Why do you all hate it? :?

sdlynx
October 30th, 2009, 07:47 PM
I agree, I just installed Pidgin. I tried Empathy for a little bit but it didn't have all the options set out as they were on Pidgin, and I didn't feel like changing. Pidgin worked fine for me so I'm stickin' with it.

TheNessus
October 30th, 2009, 07:53 PM

About 2) - you're wrong. remove the applet and make it use the systray notifications, then it would blink when someone is contacting you. Why do people not atleast TRY using empathy for more than two minutes?

xuCGC002
October 30th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Honestly, I've always preferred Kopete, even when I was using GNOME.

TheNessus
October 30th, 2009, 07:54 PM
I agree, I just installed Pidgin. I tried Empathy for a little bit but it didn't have all the options set out as they were on Pidgin, and I didn't feel like changing. Pidgin worked fine for me so I'm stickin' with it.

Pidgin worked fine? On MSN protocol all my send and recieved messages fail 90% of the time... on either Linux OR Windows... or any computer. It's a killer for me.

qamelian
October 30th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Pidgin worked fine? On MSN protocol all my send and recieved messages fail 90% of the time... on either Linux OR Windows... or any computer. It's a killer for me.
Funny, on Pidgin, my MSN sent and received messages work 100% of the time, but Empathy randomly disconnects from all protocols every 5 to 10 minutes. That plus the fact that it still doesn't allow me to block IM spammers means Empathy doesn't belong on my PC/laptop.

TheNessus
October 30th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Funny on Pidgin, my MSN sent and received messages work 100% of the time, but empathy randomly disconnects from every protocol ever y 5 to 10 minutes. That plus the fact that it still doesn't allow me to block IM spammers means Empathy doesn't belong on my PC/laptop.
Funnier, I can block anyone but I don't get spammers harassing me anyways, and it never disconnects. It only had problems re-connecting when I lose internet connection (crappy router) every 10 hours; so I need to close and open empathy again. I find it weird how some people experience both programs so differently.

Dragonbite
October 30th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Funnier, I can block anyone but I don't get spammers harassing me anyways, and it never disconnects. It only had problems re-connecting when I lose internet connection (crappy router) every 10 hours; so I need to close and open empathy again. I find it weird how some people experience both programs so differently.

Even funnier.. I can pick up the phone and actually *TALK* to these people! And there is a greater chance of getting a REAL LIVE PERSON on the other end then calling any big company today!

TheNessus
October 30th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Even funnier.. I can pick up the phone and actually *TALK* to these people! And there is a greater chance of getting a REAL LIVE PERSON on the other end then calling any big company today!
Funnier still - it's an IM thread! Had it been a phone thread, then you'd have a case :P

SomeGuyDude
October 30th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Empathy is as good as Pidgin, IMHO...

Why do you all hate it? :?

Again...

1) I don't use GNOME, and don't want the entire GNOME dependency list in order to run it.

2) It doesn't notify you of new IM's. There's no tray alert, no flashing window, nothin'. That's kind of important for me.

3) Lacks in features overall. It's kinda like Chromium in that regard, the options/preferences dialogue is REALLY threadbare.

TheNessus
October 30th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Again...

2) It doesn't notify you of new IM's. There's no tray alert, no flashing window, nothin'. That's kind of important for me.

Wrong. 2nd time I told you this (on this page, above!). jesus christ. You're one of these people who rant about things (Wrongly) even when told they're wrong? wth.

Wiebelhaus
October 30th, 2009, 08:26 PM
I personally don't like Empathy and use Pidgin but it's not that big of a deal. Remove it and install Pidgin. A badda bing a badda boom , fogetda bout it.

LookTJ
October 30th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Is this trying both MSN and MSN-pecan on Pidgin?

I don't have nor tried Empathy as of late. I still use Pidgin as it does what it needs to do for me.

SomeGuyDude
October 30th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Wrong. 2nd time I told you this (on this page, above!). jesus christ. You're one of these people who rant about things (Wrongly) even when told they're wrong? wth.

What YOU told me might work with Gnome-panel, but apparently you didn't read point 1: I don't use GNOME. So I can't remove any applets. And Empathy itself only has a single window for notifications, talking about "bubble notifications".

It doesn't play right with Tint2 at all. I can't seem to close the contact window out so it's not sitting in the taskbar.

UPDATE: the latest build DOES give tray notification, but we're not out of the woods yet. Aside from the aforementioned problem of not being able to close the contact list window, I also can't seem to turn smilies off. I hate smiley themes.

Furthermore, it seems to randomly start new conversations in new windows. Right now I have a two-tab conversation going. I open up my contact list, click on a name... new window.

Let me show you what's happening right now:

http://imgur.com/M4Uvb.png

Notice:

1) There's no contact list in the taskbar, but the contact list is clearly open.

2) I have one "conversation window" (meaning multiple conversations in it), but one sitting by itself.

SECOND problem:

http://imgur.com/wj0oJ.png

I showed you the right click menu to show that, according to the Empathy icon, the contact list is hidden. However, it's still in my taskbar. It just minimized, it didn't close out. Its behaviour is terribly unpredictable.

Why? DEPENDS ON GNOME.

hoppipolla
October 30th, 2009, 09:46 PM

Yeah I agree, Kopete is probably the best messenger I've ever used, OTHER than the fact that it was a bit unstable on here recently.

Ubuntu does have a strange relationship with KDE though, I wonder if they'll ever fully embrace it ._.

hoppipolla
October 30th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Again...

1) I don't use GNOME, and don't want the entire GNOME dependency list in order to run it.

3) Lacks in features overall. It's kinda like Chromium in that regard, the options/preferences dialogue is REALLY threadbare.

To be honest I don't think at the moment we can expect Empathy to run to it's full potential in anything but Gnome. It's clearly optimized for that desktop right now.

SomeGuyDude
October 30th, 2009, 10:01 PM
To be honest I don't think at the moment we can expect Empathy to run to it's full potential in anything but Gnome. It's clearly optimized for that desktop right now.

True. which may not be a flaw, really.

Dragonbite
October 31st, 2009, 03:18 PM
I'm curious. I have one machine with Pidgin and one with Empathy.

There was talk of video support for XMPP, how do I get that? I don't see any options in Pidgin or plug-ins available (unless I'm not reading them right), so do I have to download something and if so, from where? Or is it an additional piece I have to get through apt-get?