PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] upgrade failure or slow upgrade?

coolclassic
October 30th, 2009, 01:50 PM
At present my system appears to be upgrading but it is taking a lifetime. I started the upgrade last night at 8ish. When I got up this morning the system was installing packages this is still happening with cpu usage at a constant 10% on one cpu.

What I don't have is any indication of progress of upgrade. Upgrade window is blank no progress bar or anything. So my guess is

1: has the upgrade hung
2. Due to absence of active window is it awaiting further prompt from me.
3. Or this does take a long time

Is there any way to see progress of install from shell? and/or is it safe to reboot?

ajgreeny
October 30th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Are you sure there is not a dialog box open behind one of your windows waiting for some input from you? It occasionally happens, though generally pops up in front of everything else.

henryfarbles
October 30th, 2009, 03:03 PM
having a similar problem. started the upgrade yesterday update-manager -d. it took a long time to download everything but it seems to have grabbed all the data. i let it run overnight and this morning it was still installing the upgrades. The terminal just prints out 'y' over and over. same thing today with apt-get.

coolclassic
October 30th, 2009, 03:47 PM
The dialog box is all grey out, it is the only window open on desk top.

coolclassic
October 30th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Decided to reboot this then caused a problem with fstab and uuid.

I read somewhere to "sudo mount -o rw,remount /" in safe mode then "sudo update-grub" whether this is necessary I don't know.

then: sudo dpkg --configure -a

System fixed