PDA

View Full Version : KUbuntu Karmic has got something new

praveesh
October 30th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Compared to previous released , there are something new , like beautiful air themed installer , open office kde integration , firefox installer, easy codec installer in amarok , ayatana notification etc . Eventhough the xsplash , Ubuntu one etc are not present the kUbuntu , I like to appreciate the KUBUNTU devs for their hard work .

Kingsley
October 30th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Explain that xsplash part again. It's in Ubuntu but not Kubuntu? What does it do?

coldReactive
October 30th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Explain that xsplash part again. It's in Ubuntu but not Kubuntu? What does it do?

xsplash isn't installed in kubuntu, this is because kubuntu didn't get any xsplash artwork.

It provides a bootsplash screen that can do graphic intensive effects unlike usplash, as xsplash sits on x.

lovinglinux
October 30th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Did you get ayatana notifications working properly? I still get those job notifications one above the other. BTW, I can't find the Settings menu where you can change to ayatana anymore, where is it?

coldReactive
October 30th, 2009, 03:09 PM
I also don't get why sabily gets xsplash artwork, but kubuntu doesn't.

hoppipolla
October 30th, 2009, 03:15 PM
To be honest because I've just done a gradual upgrade from Jaunty I never really noticed all this stuff. KDE 4.3.2 and it's associated apps obviously bring many, many improvements though, and that's cool if you have noticed quite a few differences :)

Personally I think we will see Kubuntu receive more and more TLC the better KDE 4 becomes :)

coldReactive
October 30th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Personally I think we will see Kubuntu receive more and more TLC the better KDE 4 becomes :)

But with barely any kde4 themes I like on kde-look, that's hard to believe. (I'm a fan of the color purple, but no purple themes exist for kde4.)

Islington
October 30th, 2009, 03:24 PM
But with barely any kde4 themes I like on kde-look, that's hard to believe. (I'm a fan of the color purple, but no purple themes exist for kde4.)

er.. what? what do your themeing preferences have anything with how kubuntu gets treated?

coldReactive
October 30th, 2009, 03:25 PM
er.. what? what do your themeing preferences have anything with how kubuntu gets treated?

I'm at least glad Kubuntu has the option to colorize icons. If it wasn't for that, I'd hate Kubuntu a bit.

NightwishFan
October 30th, 2009, 03:29 PM
In the RC there was a Kubuntu menu icon available, but it used the Kmenu icon by default. I was waiting for some Kubuntu to show up in the KDE4 releases.

I was going to use Kubuntu for this release, as it is quite fantastic. I decided last minute to stick with Gnome. It fits my needs and tastes much better.

Overall Kubuntu was fast and stable.

hoppipolla
October 30th, 2009, 03:29 PM
I'm at least glad Kubuntu has the option to colorize icons. If it wasn't for that, I'd hate Kubuntu a bit.

o.O

Most pedantic complaint EVAR! lol

I dunno man, it will get more popular and get more themes - I'm sure you can change most things to purple at the moment if you want anyway o.O

Plus you can make your own themes...

coldReactive
October 30th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Plus you can make your own themes...

If it requires ANY coding/editing text files/terminal whatsoever, then I could care less.

Islington
October 30th, 2009, 03:43 PM
If it requires ANY coding/editing text files/terminal whatsoever, then I could care less.

eh? editing textfiles is how gnome themes are done. In either case, eventually someone will build an engine that will accept svg's.

hoppipolla
October 30th, 2009, 04:07 PM

o.O fine......

There's still no point getting too mad at something at something which is partly unfinished and still finding it's feet and maturity. If you want a mature desktop use Gnome 2 or KDE 3.

NormanFLinux
October 30th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I got rid of Kpackagekit again. Synaptic is my sole package manager in Kubuntu.

Screwdriver0815
October 30th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Did you get ayatana notifications working properly? I still get those job notifications one above the other. BTW, I can't find the Settings menu where you can change to ayatana anymore, where is it?
this Ayatana thing is disabled by default. You can enable it by right-click in the systempart of the taskbar (its the part where the network-icon and so on are sitting) and then choose either KDE-notifications or Ayatana.

I say: Kubuntu Karmic is nothing better than Jaunty with KDE 4.3 from the backports.
Why?
Because all they have done was to implement this Ayatana (doesn't make sense in my opinion) but they did not work in improving the system at all.
KNetworkmanager still sucks terribly on wireless and this is a major drawback in my eyes.
I did not see any improvements in Kubuntu Karmic and even if they were there I would not recognise them as the (for me) major issue still exists: KNetworkmanager fails on wireless.

lovinglinux
October 30th, 2009, 04:27 PM
this Ayatana thing is disabled by default. You can enable it by right-click in the systempart of the taskbar (its the part where the network-icon and so on are sitting) and then choose either KDE-notifications or Ayatana.

Thanks. So does it work for job alerts? It is only working for other types of alerts here.

hoppipolla
October 30th, 2009, 04:31 PM
lol yeah a few small things still suck or have holes in them, but give KDE 4 a little more time to improve ^_^

It shall be even more awesome O.O

bigbrovar
October 30th, 2009, 06:06 PM

I say: Kubuntu Karmic is nothing better than Jaunty with KDE 4.3 from the backports.
Why?
Because all they have done was to implement this Ayatana (doesn't make sense in my opinion) but they did not work in improving the system at all.
KNetworkmanager still sucks terribly on wireless and this is a major drawback in my eyes.
I did not see any improvements in Kubuntu Karmic and even if they were there I would not recognise them as the (for me) major issue still exists: KNetworkmanager fails on wireless.

true ayanta seems to be the major different btw kubuntu karmic and jaunty with kde 4.3 backport. But that ignores other lil improvements like the msg icon which is my pidgin minimizes to, Bluetooth support is better (it was completely broken in jaunty). Also there are more applications in the repo (kaffine and konversation ) meaning less use of PPA ok those are lame. but in all i find the lil improvements here and there all worth an upgrade

Screwdriver0815
October 30th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Thanks. So does it work for job alerts? It is only working for other types of alerts here.
you mean for copying files and so on?

don't know... AFAIK Ayatana is just for things like Kopete and such.

In my opinion Ayatana is a third leg.

ah and what I forgot to critisise ;)

the Kde 4 port of K3b is still in Alpha or Beta state. How can they deliver the final Kubuntu Karmic with that? Yeah sure, they can obviously. But my opinion is: wrong decision.

j.bell730
October 30th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Meh, my KDE distro is still gonna be Mandriva when 2010 comes out. <3 Mandriva's KDE.

Screwdriver0815
October 30th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Meh, my KDE distro is still gonna be Mandriva when 2010 comes out. <3 Mandriva's KDE.
I'll switch to Open Suse 11.2 when it comes out. Kubuntu is not the one I like anymore - too less improvements.

Opensuse plays in a higher league than Kubuntu

praveesh
October 30th, 2009, 06:33 PM

To my best knowledge (I may be wrong) , the xsplash requires a modification to be done in the kdm . But the KUBUNTU developers didn't get time to do that , because of the KUBUNTU netbook remix and the above mentioned features . We should consider the small number of kUbuntu developers compared to the number of Ubuntu developers .

praveesh
October 30th, 2009, 06:37 PM

unfortunately, Mandriva didn't boot on my computer . I tried 2 different versions . Both failed to boot

praveesh
October 30th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Ubuntu is a Gnome centrib distribution . It is great that they atleast does the kde packaging .

bigbrovar
October 30th, 2009, 07:04 PM
you mean for copying files and so on?

the Kde 4 port of K3b is still in Alpha or Beta state. How can they deliver the final Kubuntu Karmic with that? Yeah sure, they can obviously. But my opinion is: wrong decision.

You know sometimes A distro has to make some decisions going forward what would be better in the long term, k3b was shipped so that users help use it and drag it to release. all the major distros (mandriva, opensuse, fedora)

CbrPad
October 30th, 2009, 09:19 PM

+1 I had tried Kubuntu several times but packagekit was a disaster as was networking which simply didn't work with my 3g connection.
Now that Karmic Gnome has also failed with 3g, I've just spent the day wiping my system and installing Mandriva KDE cooker. It's working great so far plus it looks absolutely amazing, actually make that stunning :D