PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] xorg.conf missing lots

crimius
October 30th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Hi. I just upgraded to 9.10 from 9.04, and decided I would do things the right way (setup a seperate home partition and copy my current home folder over to it). Install went off without a hitch, and I'm loving how well things have worked so far. My only issue is my xorg.conf file seemed to have a couple issues, so rather than try and fix them I deleted it and figured I would let Ubuntu rebuild it next time it started, and go from there. now however, it is a very sparse file:

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
DefaultDepth 24
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Default Device"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "NoLogo" "True"
EndSection

that's it. I was going to re-enable the dontzap feature, but as you can see, it isn't quite there for me to enable. any ideas on how to rebuild this aside from manually?

mikewhatever
October 30th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Is there a problem with your xorg? To get dontzap, read Karmic release announcement (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/910#Ctrl-Alt-Backspace%20disabled%20by%20default%20in%20Xorg,%2 0configured%20via%20XKB).

crimius
October 30th, 2009, 07:28 PM
it seemed that it should be maybe 3 times the size that it is. In the last release that was how it was, and I had a script setup to copy one file to my current xorg file to display on an external Gateway monitor (its a laptop), and then switch back to my laptop. I find that both of these files are now invalid, as I'm assuming it's a new version of xorg.

I can't change my xorg via the nvidia-settings manager, since I'm using the proprietary nvidia driver and it makes sense to change it that way instead of editing it manually. it errors as i launch the manager

unable to assign attribute [attribute here] on line[all lines 21-85] of configuration file '/home/xxxxx/.nvidia-settings-rc'
then when I apply the settings with a popup that reads "Failed to parse existing X config file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'!" and in the terminal

VALIDATION ERROR: Data incomplete in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
Undefined Device "(null)" referenced by Screen "Default Screen".
Segmentation fault

skotos
November 2nd, 2009, 11:38 AM
... read Karmic release announcement (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/910#Ctrl-Alt-Backspace%20disabled%20by%20default%20in%20Xorg,%2 0configured%20via%20XKB).

Thank you for the dontzap trick