PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] kubuntu-9.10 upgrade - k3b broken?

zapporius
October 30th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I used k3b to rip my cd's to either mp3 or flac in 9.04, and I thought I'd upgrade to 9.10 this morning.

After the upgrade, k3b couldn't rip anymore. At first it spewed errors about lame, so I first reinstalled lame, and then I reinstalled k3b. It didn't help.

Then I tried ripping to flac, and it appeared to be working, until I tried to play those flac files. All I got was static noise. So for some reason the "flac" files were complete bogus, their size did vary, but the content was garbage. The flac files that I ripped in 9.04 worked perfectly in amarok, so its no error in playback chain.

snuffyo
November 3rd, 2009, 06:29 PM
I had the same problem with ripping mp3s after upgrading to jaunty. In my googling, I fixed it through this:

In the k3b preferences, plugins > external audio encoder > edit

check both boxes:
Swap Byte Order
Write Wave Header

This will allow the CD to be ripped without an error. To fix the static on the mp3s:

add -x to the command options

Hope it works for you!

tqft
January 17th, 2010, 09:52 AM
I had the same problem with ripping mp3s after upgrading to jaunty. In my googling, I fixed it through this:

In the k3b preferences, plugins > external audio encoder > edit

check both boxes:
Swap Byte Order
Write Wave Header

This will allow the CD to be ripped without an error. To fix the static on the mp3s:

add -x to the command options

Hope it works for you!

Your -x fix worked for me - was just getting static on mp3 rips with k3b.

Interesting;y the default settings for k3b have the byte order swapped, but the -x reverses something again from
man lame
"
-x Swap bytes in the input file or output file when using --decode.
For sorting out little endian/big endian type problems. If your encodings sounds like static, try this first.
Without using -x, LAME will treat input file as native endian.
"

I actually tried putting the other settings off and that failed as well. So no idea but works now,