PDA

View Full Version : what would life be like if there was no cds or dvds

cameronedwards
October 30th, 2009, 12:44 PM
I'll start off.
USBs would be huge (in capacity and popularity), and software vendors like windows ect. would get loads of emails about bugs in the system.

chrisw92
October 30th, 2009, 02:04 PM
portable [locked] hard drives would probably contain OS installs. this reminds me, who uses floppy disks anymore?

forrestcupp
October 30th, 2009, 02:06 PM
We're getting closer to not having cds and dvds. Most software is downloadable now, even Windows. You can boot iso's from a USB key now, and USB keys are usually bigger than a dvd now, anyway.

I don't even buy video dvds much anymore. I usually tivo the movies I want to watch and they're in HD. You can even rent movies online and play it through your tv. And I never buy music cds. It's all mp3 downloads now for me.

forrestcupp
October 30th, 2009, 02:08 PM
portable [locked] hard drives would probably contain OS installs. this reminds me, who uses floppy dicks anymore?

I hope there's a typo in this post! :)

pwnst*r
October 30th, 2009, 02:11 PM
i buy music cd's and blu-rays (along with a few dvd's). for that type of media i like something tangible.

cameronedwards
October 30th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I usually tivo the movies I want to watch and they're in HD.

in engalnd we don't have tivo (so all we have is xbox and apple tv -which im dangerously close to getting even though i have an xbox elite)

koshatnik
October 30th, 2009, 02:41 PM
I'll start off.
USBs would be huge (in capacity and popularity), and software vendors like windows ect. would get loads of emails about bugs in the system.

Havent bought anything on CD for about 5 years. Haven't bought music on CD for about 10. DVD/CD/BluRay is dead technology, a relic from 20th Century. And its crap as a recording medium.

Skripka
October 30th, 2009, 02:54 PM
I'll start off.

The recording industry in the US would completely collapse, due to no longer getting a cut of every blank CD/DVD sale.

chrisw92
October 30th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I hope there's a typo in this post! :)
whoops, thanks.

I never buy DVD's anymore, just blu-rays. physical media will be gone soon (as in 20 yeas) with stuff like dropbox and ubuntu one its easier than ever to backup online and Its almost too easy to download music and movies (legit of course) backed up with more than 65% of people online have broadband.

hessiess
October 30th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Nothing much, there basically obsolete already anyway. Though Windows might finally get a package manager...

pwnst*r
October 30th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Havent bought anything on CD for about 5 years. Haven't bought music on CD for about 10. DVD/CD/BluRay is dead technology, a relic from 20th Century. And its crap as a recording medium.

until they start with downloadable flac or equivalent, i'll take the source as is.

earthpigg
October 30th, 2009, 08:51 PM
in my world, the premise of this post is already true.