PDA

View Full Version : What was wrong with your 9.04?

muteXe
October 30th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Or your 8.10? Or your 8.04?
I'm sick of this 6 monthly "ooooh i cant download my new ubuntu yet even though it's released today, i simply must have it!", followed by a week of "my new ubuntu has broken my <random> app", or "my new ubuntu cant do <random> like my previous ubuntu could".
I wonder if a 12-month release cycle might be a good idea? Sorry for the rant.

overdrank
October 30th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Moved to The Community Cafe

fjf
October 30th, 2009, 12:03 PM
After the last update the hard drive would keep working continuously and the system performance was terrible :(
I formatted the / partition and installed the 64 bits Karmic with ext4 and WOW! wharadifference!

Pogeymanz
October 30th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Yeah, they upgrading every six months can be painful. But if you want to use Ubuntu and have all the coolest new features, it's something you must endure.

On the other hand, if you are fine with your stable set up, you might just stick with the next LTS.

NoaHall
October 30th, 2009, 12:06 PM
If you call that a rant, I'd consider taking rant-teaching lessons if I were you.

9.04 is fine for me, not going to upgrade for about a month.

maflynn
October 30th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Nothing was and is wrong with 9.04.

I'm happy with it, no major issues or bugs.

jwbrase
October 30th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Yeah, I'm gonna wait for the next LTS before upgrading. On my desktop at home the upgrade from 8.10 to 9.04 broke GNOME. I bought my current System76 laptop with 9.04, and will probably upgrade it when 10.04 comes out.

TheNessus
October 30th, 2009, 12:15 PM
in 9.04, using my Fujitsu lappy, with Nvidia 8400, I could not lower the LCD brightness or control CPU frequency. Somehow in 9.10 it all works like a charm. Also, 9.10 has Nvidia driver 185. in the repos unlike 180. in Jaunty. It works better when it's in the repos than to manually install it.

t0p
October 30th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Nothing was wrong with my 9.04. Nothing is wrong with my 9.04. I will probably keep my 9.04 for a while longer.

But there was something wrong with my 8.10. Which is why I installed 9.04 over it. The 6 months between 8.10 and 9.04 made a lot of difference.

There's also plenty wrong with my 8.04, on my other computer. Well, maybe not "wrong", but there's plenty I'm dissatisfied with, and I may stick 9.10 over it. Not sure yet. We'll see.

The point is, while the 6-month cycle is not for you, it may be right for someone else. And anyway, you don't have to upgrade Ubuntu every 6 months. No one forces you to. You can stick with one version for years if you like.

Just because you don't want to upgrade every 6 months, is no reason to dump the 6-month cycle. Too many people want to impose their wishes on everyone. The OP included.

CharlesA
October 30th, 2009, 12:21 PM
New versions always have bugs. Bugs get squashed.

If you don't want to update every 6 months, you don't have to. There are also LTS versions. ;)

Maybe I am a special case, but I downloaded and ran the 9.10 desktop version without any problems. *shrug*

Mornedhel
October 30th, 2009, 12:46 PM

9.04 (and previous) did not have a feature I need for work: a 3.2 branch of Octave. There was a package for the 3.0 branch, but apparently compatibility is better under 3.2, and indeed the Matlab toolbox I have to work with crashes under 3.0 and runs under 3.2. So, yeah, I had a serious incentive to switch. The only other way to get Octave 3.2 on Jaunty was apparently to compile it from source, which I did (a lengthy process).

Plus I needed an excuse to go 64b.

I'm sick of this 6 monthly "ooooh i cant download my new ubuntu yet even though it's released today, i simply must have it!", followed by a week of "my new ubuntu has broken my <random> app", or "my new ubuntu cant do <random> like my previous ubuntu could".

So far I have spotted only very few regressions (weird dependencies mostly), and hardware support seems better on Karmic (for my hardware).

Screwdriver0815
October 30th, 2009, 01:00 PM
for me nothing was wrong with 8.04 (Hardy) or 8.10 (Intrepid). On the desktop I wanted KDE 4 and this was not easily available in Hardy and in Intrepid it was terrible.

So 9.04 was the only option for that and I went for it, including installing KDE 4.3 from the backports ppa. So I have now the same state of KDE on my Jaunty as I would have it with Karmic --> upgrading not necessary.

On the Laptop, Hardy had some problems with the hardware and Intrepid too, though it was not that bad. But Jaunty makes a better job.

Now I'll stick with Jaunty for a while because Karmic is not the burner for me. And: never touch a running system

JillSwift
October 30th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Why did something have to be "wrong" with a previous release to be interested in a new release?

I thought I'd stick with 8.04 LTS until a new LTS came around. But the new toys in 9.04 tempted me for a full 6 months and a few new toys in 9.10 made for a deal i could not refuse. So here I am, all Karmiced out.

Except for my server, which remains on 8.04. All the toys were desktop stuff, and the idea that there's no need to fix what ain't broke definitely applies.

muteXe
October 30th, 2009, 04:11 PM
I guess that's it really: if it aint broken dont try and fix it.
If there was a new "toy" in an upcoming release that i was interested i'd get it too to be honest :)

darkksyde
October 30th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I had frequent lock ups due to my radeon hd 4850 graphics card, seems to have fixed itself in 9.10

Eisenwinter
October 30th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I don't use Ubuntu, but I think it could greatly benefit from rolling release.

The community could choose around a 100 more experienced users, to compile, install, and finally make deb packages for all applications. This way, the cannonical emplyees are left to develop the OS, and fix bugs which are related to the OS only.

The Cannonical guys are also responsible for providing the updates for core components (obviously), such as the kernel, bash, package building tools, and so forth.

The chosen users from the community are the ones who take care of updating the packages as soon as they are released, except core packages.

This way, Cannonical can concentrate on adding new features, and fix major bugs, like I said before.

People also won't have to upgrade every 6 months if they want to keep up to date, since all packages will almost always be up to date.

Hell, it doesn't even have to be a "100 chosen people", it can be anyone who uses Ubuntu and wants to contribute to it.

gn2
October 30th, 2009, 05:03 PM
There's nothing wrong with my 8.04 which is why I'm still using it and will continue to do so until at least April next year.

sudoer541
October 30th, 2009, 05:21 PM
It broke!!!

snowpine
October 30th, 2009, 05:31 PM
To understand the 6 month cycle, you have to understand the history of Ubuntu.

Debian Stable comes out every 2 or 3 years. It is super-dooper stable, and very popular for servers.

Debian Unstable is a constantly-updated "rolling release" for testing new software.

The Ubuntu guys said "hey, wouldn't it be neat if there was something in between, targeted for desktop users (instead of the server market)." And thus Ubuntu was born. Ubuntu will never be super-stable or rolling-release; it is designed from the ground up to be somewhere in between.

SomeGuyDude
October 30th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Pff. Far as I'm concerned, the people who wait for the release are being conservative. Back when I had Ubuntu I tended to grab the new one once it hit around alpha 5.

Now I'm on a rolling release with a script on my desktop that tells me the moment updates come down the pike. Most of my stuff is in beta, and if it wasn't for some absolutely atrocious kernel issues I had earlier this year I'd be using the testing repo.

The answer's simple: some people just want to have the newest and shiniest, even if the old worked just fine.

Tibuda
October 30th, 2009, 05:35 PM
If you don't want to update every 6 months, you don't have to. There are also LTS versions. ;)

Even non-LTS releases are supported for more than 6 months. Jaunty reachs end of life in october 2010. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Hetor
October 30th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Nothing.

The Real Dave
October 30th, 2009, 05:42 PM
I wonder if a 12-month release cycle might be a good idea? Sorry for the rant.

Nothing :) My Jaunty is just how I want it, fast, pretty, secure and simple :) It's my best Ubuntu yet.

Thats why I'm not upgrading to 9.10. Sure, I'm getting the ISO, and I'm gonna try it out, but I'm not upgrading, not for at least a couple months when they majority of the bugs are worked out. I'm just too happy where I am :)

drawkcab
October 30th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Intel drivers sucked in 9.04...my eeepc appreciates the upgrade.

NightHawk877
October 30th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Nothing was wrong. I just wanted to use the latest and best Ubuntu version yet.

reprobus
October 30th, 2009, 07:05 PM
I've been running it since the beta release with no problems except that the screen saver doesn't work. It doesn't work on my laptop or my desktop, thats the only problem I have had. It's no big deal really but if anyone knows how to fix it then let me know. And no my power settings are not set to hibernate or anything like that before the screen saver has time to come on.

RedMartin
October 30th, 2009, 07:12 PM
There's nothing all that wrong with my 9.04 that'll make me upgrade any sooner than Xmas.

Sure I'd like Firefox to be a lot faster and I'd love to know what cause the 'egg-timer' mouse pointer to work for about 20 seconds when I reach the desktop on booting but, those two issues aside, I'm happy.

winotree
October 30th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Well -- nothing was wrong with 9.04 and nothing is wrong with 9.10 -- I changed it because I wanted to and because I could. :-D

Stan_1936
October 30th, 2009, 07:27 PM
You know what I'm sick of...people who say that whatever version of Ubuntu worked flawlessly on their system and SO that version of Ubuntu is flalwless. EXCUSE ME???

Just because Ubuntu #.## worked well for YOU, THAT does NOT mean that it will work in the same manner for everyone else!!!

Please don't come on here and say that you're sick of people who have problems with Ubuntu and therefore complain about it the the OFFICIAL Ubuntu HELP and SUPPORT FORUM-->www.ubuntuforums.org. Because when you do, it REALLY REALLY REALLYannoys those of us who are struggling, in vain, to get a system that's half as usable as yours.

As for what was wrong with MY 9.04......I get complete screen lockups. It does not seem to be X crashing.....it's just that the entire screen is just frozen. I can't do anything.

hessiess
October 30th, 2009, 07:42 PM
With Ubuntu the main reason to upgrade is to get newer versions of programs. personally I think that this is a broken model, for example you don't have to reinstall ether OSX or Windows just to upgrade to newer versions of programs.

xuCGC002
October 30th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I had an Intel video card. But then I found a Geforce4 and it worked fine, pretty much.

Ro86
October 30th, 2009, 08:42 PM
My hardware is better supported under Karmic. Which is an excellent reason to upgrade. It's really really really annoying if your hardware doesn't work properly.

OpenGuard
October 30th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Nothing was wrong with it - I still count it as the latest stable release ( Karmic is the latest one, but ain't stable and clean ).

SunnyRabbiera
October 30th, 2009, 09:09 PM
The intel issues mostly, Jaunty was always terribly sluggish.

mr-woof
October 30th, 2009, 10:25 PM
I'm still using 8.10 on my main desktop, I haven't upgraded as yet. On my older laptop (1.5 celeron, 512mb ram), 8.10 is fine. 9.04 would freeze/lockup from time to time.

So, I upgraded to the 9.10 beta about two weeks ago. Wouldn't load after putting in the username and password :(

So i'm back on 8.10 :)

toupeiro
October 30th, 2009, 11:41 PM
A HA! I finally found a regression I think!

Citrix Receiver Client 11.0 does not seem to play well with Shiretoko. It seems I have lost the ability to install firefox-3.0 without a part of 3.5 coming down from the repos with it. So as of right now, I cannot do metaframe to work from home which is a pretty big progress stopper for me at this time. I have other, less desirable methods, but I hope I can remedy this problem quick!

garba
October 31st, 2009, 01:22 AM
on karmic my pc can now gracefully suspend and resume, that alone was a good reason to upgrade ^^

Berk
October 31st, 2009, 02:17 AM
World of Goo was choppy. :(
Now I can play it perfectly! Woop.