PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading and file/folder permissions

Chrus
October 30th, 2009, 09:28 AM
So like most people, I'm getting ready to upgrade to 9.10 (YAY!) Just have one question before I get started.

I've got a 320GB drive with Ubuntu on it, and a 1.5TB drive with all my stuff on it. I'm planning on doing a fresh install on the 320GB drive and leaving the 1.5TB in as is.

Now a fresh install is going to mean a new user, even if I have the same username/password, it will still be seen as a "new user". Right?

Is this going to cause problems? Will I be able to fix ownership with a chown? Can I do the same with my home folder?

Cheers

Chrus

momist
November 1st, 2009, 01:21 PM
Now a fresh install is going to mean a new user, even if I have the same username/password, it will still be seen as a "new user". Right?

Is this going to cause problems? Will I be able to fix ownership with a chown? Can I do the same with my home folder?
Chrus

Problems, yes. I've just done a 'clean install' on the same partition my Jaunty was on, and it has not picked up the 'home' partition. So now I have a new 'home' in the root, and my old 'home' is a drive only available to root!

I have a clonezilla backup of the whole hard disk under Jaunty, so I have a way back, but I'm not happy! This didn't happen when I moved from Intrepid to Jaunty.

howefield
November 1st, 2009, 01:25 PM
I've just done a 'clean install' on the same partition my Jaunty was on, and it has not picked up the 'home' partition. So now I have a new 'home' in the root,..

Sounds like you didn't tell the installer where your /home was...

but I'm not happy!

Well, there you go, part of the learning curve.

SuperSonic4
November 1st, 2009, 01:32 PM
So like most people, I'm getting ready to upgrade to 9.10 (YAY!) Just have one question before I get started.

I've got a 320GB drive with Ubuntu on it, and a 1.5TB drive with all my stuff on it. I'm planning on doing a fresh install on the 320GB drive and leaving the 1.5TB in as is.

Cheers

Chrus

Not if you have a separate /home partition and do not format it. During the install you can point your new home to the existing /home partition. If you select the same username you keep your /home

Chrus
November 1st, 2009, 02:23 PM
Not if you have a separate /home partition and do not format it. During the install you can point your new home to the existing /home partition. If you select the same username you keep your /home

At the moment my home folder is sitting on the 320GB drive, the one I'm going to format. If I copy the folder to the 1.5TB drive, and point to that folder during the install and create a new user with the same name, would that work?

SuperSonic4
November 1st, 2009, 02:41 PM
It would be better as a separate partition rather than simply a folder. You can create a separate /home by following this guide: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

If your home folder is an existing partition on the 320gb drive than yes, you can point it to there with no trouble.

In both cases you'll have to manually specify /home through the manual partition option.

Chrus
November 1st, 2009, 02:45 PM
It would be better as a separate partition rather than simply a folder. You can create a separate /home by following this guide: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

If your home folder is an existing partition on the 320gb drive than yes, you can point it to there with no trouble.

In both cases you'll have to manually specify /home through the manual partition option.

Awesome. Thanks. I'll get stuck into that tomorrow arvo.

Cheers