PDA

View Full Version : I see linux gets updates faster then windows :)

dj-toonz
October 30th, 2009, 07:01 AM
First lot of updates are in for Karmic I see, That was quick, Windows what is it, every first Tuesday of the month LOL

here's what updates I've had

f-spot fuse-utils grub-common grub-pc libfuse2 libpython2.6 libsmbclient
libwbclient0 python2.6 python2.6-minimal samba-common samba-common-bin
smbclient totem totem-common totem-mozilla totem-plugins update-manager

all from the karmic repos, no PPA repos enabled

-grubby
October 30th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Because of the way to apt works, all programs on the system are updated at once, whereas in Windows it's typically just Windows and such related things.

Whether or not this is a good thing is debatable.

dj-toonz
October 30th, 2009, 07:22 AM
It's better then going looking for the updates to software aswell :). I see jauntys updates are slowing down as last few I had in that was a couple of days ago & was just a kernel update. I bet windows 7 Hasn't got any updates or patches out yet in the final version LOL

SunnyRabbiera
October 30th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Hey nothing like last minute bug fixes.

Earl_Maroon
October 30th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Things are always going to have bugs; response time is important.

scheuri
October 30th, 2009, 07:45 AM
hi all

@dj-toonz:
At least Windows 7 64 bit had already several updates right after I isntalled it on 18th of October. I got it a few days earlier because I ordered a system builder.
And Win7 got a few updates since then.
So you lose, everyone wins...you bet on the wrong thing*

* that was sarcastic, because quite obvisouly you have not informed yourself about this. No worries, this is not particularly bad. However, making such assumptions without checking first do not make your statements taken more serious

@Comparing Microsoft Windows and Linux Distrubution
In my humble opinion it is not a wise thing to simply compare the update mechanisms of those both operating systems or distributions. Because it is simply not the same at all.

While Windows is a operating system with a few addons (solitaire, wordpad, mediaplayer, MSIE and the such) a Linux Distribution usually offers (not necessarily install) quite a lot of software packages.
The Windows Update offers updates for the OS and some of the addons as well as some of the MS products.
The linux distribution updates are in my opinion superior, because they offer updates for most software in the repositories (multiverse and universe in ubuntu do not necessarily get updates, main does for sure!). It even allows you to easily implement sources of third parties or development which offers the appropriate kind of repositories (apt, yum, portage, etc.).

Asking for the same thing in Windows is surely one thing (I would love to see that), but higly unlikely and maybe even impossible. How can a manufacturer of an proprietary OS offer updates trough one of his own repositories for other software from other manufacturers (if they do not comply and work together).

@updates in karmix
yay...thanks for the early adopter...;)

cheers
scheuri

toupeiro
October 30th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Because of the way to apt works, all programs on the system are updated at once, whereas in Windows it's typically just Windows and such related things.

Whether or not this is a good thing is debatable.

I'm on the "its a great thing" side of the debate. Vulnerabilities exist in much more than just the OS, and apt addresses that.